Fishing Maps

skdds

Hi guys,

Any suggestions about how to best interpret a fishing map to find the most "ideal" fishing spots for a new lake ? I can appreciate the info from water depths etc and I know it also depends on species, but any other general tips would be helpful. Thanks!

skdds

There are fishing maps and there are navigational maps.

Navigation maps are more accurate and more detailed. Fishing maps are generally simplified, but might show trolling routes, fishing areas for different species, weedbeds and other "hot" spots.

Both type of maps will show you the main lake points and secondary points, islands, humps and shoals.

The contour lines will show you the relative depth. This depth will change from season to season, but the map gives you a general picture.

The closer the contour lines are together the faster the drop-off. Lines stacked so close that they touch indicate an underwater cliff.

How do you use the information?

Here are six things you might want to look for...

1. Points

2. Ridges.

3. Channels.

4. Humps.

5. Flats.

6. Islands.

Let's say you are fishing in the Kawarthas...You might want to fish any points or ends of humps or islands that lead into deep water, especially if it leads into the main lake channel.

If you know the seasonal movements of your target species, the map will give you an idea where to look for them. In the Spring, Walleye spawn in moving water with rock and grave bottoms. They will then drop back to rest and feed in the first weedbed or point close to deep water. Check the map for these locations. At the end of the season when the water is cold, Bass will tend to hold in deep water next to shear cliff faces so the they can change depth, to find the most comfortable water temperature, without swimming any distance. Check the map for these locations. Find the spot on the map with a fast drop from 3 to 40 feet and you could have a great day.

Add your own experiences to your map. Places where you catch fish, notes about bottom conditions etc. One guy said he rated any point as a #1, if they also had weeds, rocks or lay downs, or lead into deep water, they became 2's, 3's, 4's or 5's etc.

Overtime a map like this will allow you to hit your most productive spots in a logical sequence...You will have your own "Milk Run."

Good Luck;

Garry2R's

There are fishing maps and there are navigational maps.

Navigation maps are more accurate and more detailed. Fishing maps are generally simplified, but might show trolling routes, fishing areas for different species, weedbeds and other "hot" spots.

Both type of maps will show you the main lake points and secondary points, islands, humps and shoals.

The contour lines will show you the relative depth. This depth will change from season to season, but the map gives you a general picture.

The closer the contour lines are together the faster the drop-off. Lines stacked so close that they touch indicate an underwater cliff.

How do you use the information?

Here are six things you might want to look for...

1. Points

2. Ridges.

3. Channels.

4. Humps.

5. Flats.

6. Islands.

Let's say you are fishing in the Kawarthas...You might want to fish any points or ends of humps or islands that lead into deep water, especially if it leads into the main lake channel.

If you know the seasonal movements of your target species, the map will give you an idea where to look for them. In the Spring, Walleye spawn in moving water with rock and grave bottoms. They will then drop back to rest and feed in the first weedbed or point close to deep water. Check the map for these locations. At the end of the season when the water is cold, Bass will tend to hold in deep water next to shear cliff faces so the they can change depth, to find the most comfortable water temperature, without swimming any distance. Check the map for these locations. Find the spot on the map with a fast drop from 3 to 40 feet and you could have a great day.

Add your own experiences to your map. Places where you catch fish, notes about bottom conditions etc. One guy said he rated any point as a #1, if they also had weeds, rocks or lay downs, or lead into deep water, they became 2's, 3's, 4's or 5's etc.

Overtime a map like this will allow you to hit your most productive spots in a logical sequence...You will have your own "Milk Run."

Good Luck;

Garry2R's

thanks for a great repply ...

Agreed! that information was very helpful, thanks!...any suggested websites for good quality fishing maps?-skdds

I don't know of any free map web sites. The various MNR offices often have sounding maps for lakes in their area.

Ask nicely and you may get a free photo copy.

There is a guy in Bridgenorth that sells okay maps of the Kawarthas and other lakes in the surrounding area.

http://www.adventurefishingmaps.on.ca/

Backroad Map Books sells some books of lake maps and single sheet copies of those maps. They're not very good and I think they get their information by talking to the kid at the gas station...But they're a little better than nothing.

http://www.backroadmapbooks.com/main/index.html

Navigation map packages for the Trent Severn are available at Marinas in those areas and from the Government.

http://www.fedpubs.com/mpchrt/charts/ontario.htm

These are the ones that I happen to own, but there are others. For instance, I know there are Dave Mercer fishing maps available through BPS and other tackle stores.

Garry2R's

Edited by garry2rs

I don't know of any free map web sites. The various MNR offices often have sounding maps for lakes in their area.

Ask nicely and you may get a free photo copy.

There is a guy in Bridgenorth that sells okay maps of the Kawarthas and other lakes in the surrounding area.

http://www.adventurefishingmaps.on.ca/

Backroad Map Books sells some books of lake maps and single sheet copies of those maps. They're not very good and I think they get their information by talking to the kid at the gas station...But they're a little better than nothing.

http://www.backroadmapbooks.com/main/index.html

Navigation map packages for the Trent Severn are available at Marinas in those areas and from the Government.

http://www.fedpubs.com/mpchrt/charts/ontario.htm

These are the ones that I happen to own, but there are others. For instance, I know there are Dave Mercer fishing maps available through BPS and other tackle stores.

Garry2R's

Thanks again Garry, great info and suggestions...always something new to learn-skdds