Edgar Lake, Cochrane Ontario

beerman

Hi people, well we booked our annual fly in fishing trip in the great north. We go with cochrane air services. This will be my 20th trip with them, but first time in Edgar lake. The lake is right beside kesagami lake. Does anyone have any info on this lake?? thanks

ps.we are flying in june 2nd.. Cannot wait..

Beerman,

welcome to OFC, this is by far the place to be for fishing information and a general all around goodtime.... you may find alot more responses to your questions if you tell everyone a little bit about yourself, what you fish for etc... most fishermen are secretive, this will help break the ice (Pun intended)

Again Welcome to OFC

Gerritt.

Beerman,

welcome to OFC, this is by far the place to be for fishing information and a general all around goodtime.... you may find alot more responses to your questions if you tell everyone a little bit about yourself, what you fish for etc... most fishermen are secretive, this will help break the ice (Pun intended)

Again Welcome to OFC

Gerritt.

What Gerritt rally wants to know is if you actually have any beer.

Never been on Edgar, but I'm definitely aware of it. I guided at Kesagami years ago and besides the big lake Edgar was always their best fishery along with Nettogami...

You're going in there at absolutely prime time as far as I'm concerned! I'm sure you'll have a fantastic trip!

We stayed at Kesagami in '98, they had opened a new lake the week before we arrived and we were the second person to fish it... i'm not sure where edgar is, but the "new" lake was on the same side as the lodge was only down a bit, we were able to portage in there with our guide... i would assume Edgar would be much like kesagami in that weedbeds for pike and deeper waters for walleye, really couldn't drop a line in the water with out it being bit by one or the other...

Edgar, besides Kesagami is likely Cochrane Air's next best thing. Haven't fished there but heard it's pretty good. The north and south bays are your pike areas, around the southwest island from in front of the cabins and, the first main point just north of the cabins along the western shoreline are noted as walleye spots.

Double check with Cochrane Air about Kesagami access though, as I believe they don't permit it.

Beerman,

I was booked at Edger the week right after you!!!! But we had to move the trip until 2008. I have never done a fly in and this will be my first one. I have been gearing up for the edgar trip for 1.5 years now. I have not talked to anyone who had fish this lake yet. I am sooooooooo glad to see you post. I would very very much like to talk to you in person or email if possible. I just want to chat about edgar and you other trips with cochrane.

I am sure the trip will be great based on everything I have gathered so far. Edgar is supposed to be trouphy pike and walleye. I have been looking at arial photos of the lake from mapquest. Its a 6x1 mile lake, pretty big. Generally 12 ft deep with some 36 ft holes. I have never fished barbless and have been going craze buying gear. By the time I go, I will fill up one plane myself! We are going there with these expectations. Catch lots of pike, and some trophy pike. Meaning I hope we(7-8 of us) catch a dozen 35-45 inch pike between us. That would be nice. We are not walleye chasers but sure hope we can catch plenty to eat. My expectations could be way off, not sure, but after looking at all the places, we choose Edgar we great expectations. YOu are not allow to portage to Kasegami anymore.

Seems mostly alot of open water beside the shoal/island in the southwest. I cant get a feel of how weedy this lake is. I am also not great of just drifting in open water and not sure how we will do. I am used to a nice trolling motor and combing the shorelines. I usually go to Nipissing for a week but wanted to do a fly in. I am sooo excited to go. I hope we can talk? I am from Pittsburgh and I am also going to Lost Lake this summer in June. My name is Joe.

Hi guys, thanks for the response.. Yea, I have heard stories about edgar lake. We were getting ready to fly into yesterday lake with cochrane air and I was talking to a few old timers on the dock as we were loading up our gear. They have fished edgar 20 years now. The one guy said he would not go to another lake. They said rain, snow , sunny, etc. didn,t matter, caught fish all day!!

been to mikwam, magaskin,sand and brailey with cochrane air all good have fun. and for the guy worried about weight they will fly it all in for a fee. jnic

Likely not Sand but Snare. Those are all part of the Mikwam River system that flows eventually northward to Kesagami as well.

Fished 3 of 4 of those last year July. I am spoiled living where I do for the walleye fishing. I would have had the same success had I stayed home on the more pressured but larger Moose River. For what you pay for a week on the other Cochrane Air lakes, you'd be better off if you can to pay the extra for Edgar, or even more for Kesagami, and catch in one day what you would likely do in a week at the smaller lakes like those on the Mikwam. Not to mention, bigger averages.

Moose, you are one lucky man.. I absolutely love it up there. Come thursday, everyone in our party starts getting depressed, because we know its almost time to go.. We also take alot of extra gear, food, beer, etc... Mark will fly it in at a certain fee.. I am really excited about this year though. Edgar lake seems like it is double the flight as the other lakes we went to. And moose, you are correct, you are not permitted to portage to kesagami from edgar. I talked to mark about it, he said we can,t and the fishing is just as good on edgar.... One lake that had trophy fish was twopeak.. The four of us each caught 2 walleye over 9 pounds...

PS..JoeK, We catch most of our fish in the shallows, even walleye. I am talking 4-10 feet of water.. Never really fish the deep stuff, no need to. But it depends when you go. Early June, the walleye are in the shallows as are the pike.. One thing, fish the shoreline where the wind is beating on.. Also, take a few top water baits for pike. Lastyear, in yesterday lake, i caught 2 20 lbs, on top water bass spinner baits.. Freekin blast!!

Edited by beerman

no, i went to sand lake. never ventured past the rapids in magaskin felt there was no need. just wondering if you ever caught any sturgeon while on the mikwam system. in three trips there we have caught about 15, the biggest was 35lbs. i always had good fishing on that system. ever trip atleast one 20lber, the biggest pike was 27. did really well for picks on the back lake brailey.

• 5 months later...

Hi Beerman

Hope you fish more than you drink. Were going to Edgar next year, 1st week June. I’ve never been to Edgar, but we’ve done very well at Kesagami, been their several times. Last time we brought my kid brother (he has a lot of kids so we paid his way) and the bugger got 5 between (36 and 45)’’ not to mention the biggest walleye 27”. I haven’t heard the end of it since. It seems the weather it very temperamental at Kesagami, more so than at the more southern lakes (those say 20 to 50 miles north of Cochrane). We had a tough of snow in late July and 90+ in the same week. It’s a blessing every time up there we saw caribou every time, one time a whole herd.

Edgar was nice. But you are right about the weather. We had snow, sleet, rain and sun all in the same week.. The lake is mostly shallow, with sand bars and drop offs. YOU MUST BE CAREFULL running your boat.. Its scary.. The fishing was good, not like we are used to, but that was due to the weather.. Therew were 5 of us, and we caught about 1500 walleye, and some pike.. I posted pictures in my photo album on this site..

We are going to netogami lake..

• 4 months later...

Glad to find some insights on Cochrane Air. I've fished Kesagami before and it was great. Trying Nettogami this Summer. Has anyone fished it. I hear its got good pike and walleye. I could also do Snare or Edgar. Any information would be helpful. I'm taking my two boys and they like to explore so the 8 miles of river at Nettogami sounded good.

Thanks