Night Fishing....Maybe?

LegitFish

I see a bunch of people talking about night fishing and I'm wondering exactly what that's about?

I know its pretty straight foward, but I will be going up to a cottage for a week, and probably wont be able to go out on the boat at night (Georgian Bay), just very little knowledge of the area, and really dont want to be stuck out there all night!

So i would have to be fishing from the dock. It's in a bay, with about 6-12 ft of water, heavy weeds. Any ideas?

if the weeds don't make it all the way up to the top you could toss out a shallow diving rap, or rip a bucktail thru the weeds to entice patrolling walleye and bass.. alot of people also just cast out minnows on light up floats.. personally i love to night fish. its a great way to tear thru an evening with some good friends.

if the weeds don't make it all the way up to the top you could toss out a shallow diving rap, or rip a bucktail thru the weeds to entice patrolling walleye and bass.. alot of people also just cast out minnows on light up floats.. personally i love to night fish. its a great way to tear thru an evening with some good friends.

The weeds are about 1ft from the top right at the dock, then slowly disappear as it gets deeper, not sure where the weeds are in the deeper area. Need to get myself some glowing floats

Night fishing can be a challenge in some areas. I fished the Pointe Au Baril area of the G/B at night, by shore and boat. I can`t say that I would recommend any one wandering around in a boat there at night that isn`t real familiar with the area, just too many rocks in the water.

Although I was comfortable venturing out at night I had one speed, slow! and I stuck with areas I knew were pretty much safe boating water, any doubts and it was the electric motor and a spotlight.

The lures mentioned will work at night, the Jitterbug is like my all time favorite night time surface lure, but at times others produce better. An unweighted plastic worm or lizard, a 4/0 or 5/0 hook gives them enough weight to sink slowly and you can slither them through the weeds. Load on some weight and punch thru to open water below, a fairly heavy jig and pig will also work at night in moderately heavy weeds. Resign yourself to the fact you may spend some time clearing weeds from your line or lure, even so call weedless lures can pick up some. A buzzbait is another good nightime lure.