St Joseph's Island and Area

Brettiop

Hey guys,

My brother and a friend are heading up to St joes island for the Canada long weekend and ive decided to tag along.

Were going to be bringing up the boat and trying for some pike, walleye and in the river and areas around the island.

I'm wondering if anyone could give me some pointers to try and get some trout up there, brookies/lakers/splake... i know how good of a fishery they have up there so im going to wanna try to find some new spot., Weather it be the Soo rapids, some little creeks, or some stocked back lakes we can carry the canoe back to. Spots right on the island would be great but were willing to do some driving/bushwacking if the oppourtunity presents itself. Any info you could share would be greatly appreciated, Pm's are welcome. Never been to the area at all so hopefully we can find some fish!

Thanks guys.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Hey guys,

My brother and a friend are heading up to St joes island for the Canada long weekend and ive decided to tag along.

Were going to be bringing up the boat and trying for some pike, walleye and in the river and areas around the island.

I'm wondering if anyone could give me some pointers to try and get some trout up there, brookies/lakers/splake... i know how good of a fishery they have up there so im going to wanna try to find some new spot., Weather it be the Soo rapids, some little creeks, or some stocked back lakes we can carry the canoe back to. Spots right on the island would be great but were willing to do some driving/bushwacking if the oppourtunity presents itself. Any info you could share would be greatly appreciated, Pm's are welcome. Never been to the area at all so hopefully we can find some fish!

Thanks guys.

i sent you a quick pm bud.

Try for some atlantics! If your up for a bit of driving, LSPP would be the place for your canoe.

Although there are many other places you can go to that are much closer.

Im sure the Dr will point you in the right direction.

PM if you want anymore advice...

TDunn

Edited by TDunn

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Try for some atlantics!

They were on tonight! I was on the river early to fish for eyes and hit 3 on my walleye cranks. Tyler is right. You guys should definitely check out the atlantics in the st. mary's.

They were on tonight! I was on the river early to fish for eyes and hit 3 on my walleye cranks. Tyler is right. You guys should definitely check out the atlantics in the st. mary's.

Great idea, I pm'd tyler asking a few questions about targetting them, so hopefully he can give me hand with them. Ive never caught or targeted an Atlantic yet but they've been on the list for a bit now!

Ill be bringing the centrepin set up so hopefully there are opportunities around town to find an easy access spot and try it out, I understand it can be a dangerous place to just hop in and start wading around when you've never fished the river before tho...

What kind of bait work up in that neck of the woods, i see that walleye cranks get em so thats something to give a shot lol. Ill have to some some roe bags up, and ill bring the spoon collection to chuck some hardware at em as well.

All helps been greatly appreciated Dara Tyler and Dr S. :clapping:

Starting to get pretty excited bout this little trip now! We'll be in the area Thursday afernoon, and will likely leave the campsite early sunday morning, with one more mini trip to a back lake before making the looong drive home for sunday night( and back to work monday morn :wallbash: )

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Great idea, I pm'd tyler asking a few questions about targetting them, so hopefully he can give me hand with them. Ive never caught or targeted an Atlantic yet but they've been on the list for a bit now!

Ill be bringing the centrepin set up so hopefully there are opportunities around town to find an easy access spot and try it out, I understand it can be a dangerous place to just hop in and start wading around when you've never fished the river before tho...

What kind of bait work up in that neck of the woods, i see that walleye cranks get em so thats something to give a shot lol. Ill have to some some roe bags up, and ill bring the spoon collection to chuck some hardware at em as well.

All helps been greatly appreciated Dara Tyler and Dr S. :clapping:

Starting to get pretty excited bout this little trip now! We'll be in the area Thursday afernoon, and will likely leave the campsite early sunday morning, with one more mini trip to a back lake before making the looong drive home for sunday night( and back to work monday morn :wallbash: )

i'd say leave the pin at home (or bring it just in case) and fish for them in your boat but that's just me. in the main tailrace below the dam the atlantics are feeding aggressively on baitfish... it's actually not unlike watching whales feed the way they herd the school of baitfish up to the surface then slash through them. a variety of spoons, plugs, and ridiculously large jigs have worked well for me targeting them. we have just motored up to the large buoys then keep just enough throttle on the motor so as to be slowly moving backwards... while doing this i have either been long lining or jigging with 1/2 ounce jigs.