Chinooks on the fly...

Just moved to the area and I've been doin' some research about Chinooks on the fly. Thinkin' about searching the lower end of a local river in a couple months - I'm not interested in the old boots but nice, fresh fish moving into the system. Anyone on here do it regularly? I know some guys back home in BC that do but I was just wondering what the deal is out here...please PM if you need to.

I used to do the pier/beach casting for the salmon up until a few years ago. Very few people do it in Ontario compared to lure chuckers or bottom fishers. I used an 8wt Sage XP and my friends hooked me up with either a standard floating line or a shooting head system depending on where we were fishing. If you could cast 80-120ft you were usually in the zone – Let the fly sink for a bit and start stripping. Flies of choice were anything that looked like a baitfish – 3-4 inch clouser minnows or deceivers. I mostly just fished beaches near the river mouth. Piers get way too busy in fall with other anglers to do any major casting without nailing someone.

Love fishing with them on the fly and despite what some might think they do hit legitimately in certain circumstances(vs lining/snagging). I find that any black stone, wolly bugger, or bright single egg fly will work.(I'm partial to blood red) More importantly, bright sunny, clear water days, in deep holes and in early runs, seem best to me when they decide to hold up in pools. I find when its cloudy and the water is stained they are more focused on running the rivers and less likely to lash out a fly. As a result, normal stained, steel-head like conditions usually end up being more snags than legitimate hits..but not always. Usually when there's a number of males held up in a pool they are aggressive and will strike at anything. However the pools need to be fairly deep as they react like any fish would to anglers tromping down the rivers. If they see you, the hookup percentages decrease significantly. That said, you can sit in-front of a spawning pair, and they won't give a crap if you're right over them, but that ain't my type of game.

I usually use a decent sized strike indicator. Often times the takes will be so subtle, as if they are just mouthing or chewing the bait. You'd swear it was a perch hit or small pan fish nibble.

There are certain rivers where I find they fancy the fly more often. Usually if there's lots of wood in the water they'll be more inclined to take the bugs. Also some rivers see them running as early as late july if the conditions are right.

In my opinion, salmon are one of the most fun specie to take on the fly. They'll test you're gear. Anything less then a 7 weight would be foolish or an experiment.

The Ganaraska River has a great run a salmon every year and with them your able to hook into huge brown trout as well. Last year was a great year for Coho's as well. If you ever plan to make a trip to the Ganny contact me and we can head out. The best time is during a good rain fall as the river level becomes higher the salmon swarm in the rivers.

I used to work with a guy who was really into this. Rather than fishing in the rivers, he would fish from his little inflatable boat, either in the lake off the mouth, or a short distance upstream on the bigger rivers (Credit, Humber and Nottawasaga mainly). He always did pretty well with bright Clouser Minnow-type flies .... big ones about four inches long.

Beach fishing is very much in its infancy here, but it can be really good under the right conditions.

Streams around here turn into such a circus when the salmon show up it is almost impossible to fish. It's too bad, because freshies can be so much fun to catch.

Beach fishing is very much in its infancy here, but it can be really good under the right conditions.

Actually, I think beach fishing used to be alot more popular 20 years ago, especially in the spring. Now anyone "serious" either fish rivers for trout or out of small watercraft leaving mostly goobers on the shore.

The strain of chinooks we have here and the length of rivers mean they don't start running until they are pretty dark, not like BC at all. It might be worth thinking about a small pontoon or bellyboat and fishing estuaries to get some space and unmolested fish. Until then you can practice your bigwater casting on sheepshead down by the Discovery Centre in Hamilton Bay.

on a float rod or spinning rod i'll almost always use fly's over roe, its just a preference.

i used to fly fish in the humber aswell but after 2 seasons it wore off for me lol. they are just nasty on the fly, if you ever wanna be made a fishes witch tackle a shinny on a fly lol.

Edited by alexcba

Actually, I think beach fishing used to be alot more popular 20 years ago, especially in the spring. Now anyone "serious" either fish rivers for trout or out of small watercraft leaving mostly goobers on the shore.

That's quite accurate, so let me rephrase it ..... serious beach fishing is still in its infancy? You're right in that it's generally just not done on a large scale.