Hunting for Chinooks and Steelhead

Jet

When the Ministry decides to stop allowing anglers to fish for trout during their spawning season, I may take heed of your words. But at this point, I find it rather insulting that you are asking folks to release their fish caught in Lake O, while you are standing in a creek fishing for spawning fish. What makes one more right than the other?

HH

WELL SAID!

Aw Christ.. another crap storm on OFC. To the stream Elitists that catch and release all day, how many of those do you think DIE ! .. and what Joe said. It's spot on.. you're worried about a few fish kept on the open lake, when many of you are fishing for them when they're spawning in the rivers. Or is it just the fact of jealousy that some folks actually get out and fish...

WELL SAID!

This is not a river fishing, pier fishing or lake fishing issue. It is everyone's issue to share equally and work on. HH is off base. The moment a fish is post spawn and you catch it, you are in fact catching it before it's next spawning run. If you catch a steelhead in July in 50/400 fow you are catching it 4-8 months prior to its next spawning run. If you catch it in Sept-April in the river(pre spawn) you are simply catching it 6-0 months prior to spawning. Sorry - there is no difference, they are both pre-spawn fish.

And Jet, I see your offended, but I made no issue with you or your post and none is intended. I simply stated we all need to restrict our harvest and cannot rely on the MNR to set sustainable harvest levels. I have been rigging Lake Ontario and other Great Lakes for 25 years and steelheading longer. I am clearly aware of the issues on both sides of shore. I doubt Joeseph was flaming you, but stating anglers, especially lake anglers need to reduce their harvest rates. As do shore and river anglers if we every want to have a maintain and improve the fishery. Mind you, NYDEC shows steelhead and Pacific salmon catch rates at or near their best on record (back to early 80's). A few release lake shots would be great to see too.

NYDEC estimated 224,900 angler days of fishing just Lake Ontario on the NY side in 2009 from April 22 to Sept. This does not inclde any stream anglers and nothing from Ontario. Fair to say 500,000 angler days is very conservative. If everyone killed 1 fish each, that is half a million dead adult fish. That is not sustainable. Over harvest is the main cause of fishery decline, like the Ganny dropping from 18,000 to 5,000. This decline likely had several causes, possible including lower lake survival, increased angling pressure, but no doubt overall harvest (especially from the winter pier fishery and post opener fishery) are the leading cause IMO. That is why a 2/1 limit is still not enough to sustain the fishery.

Simply put, out of 150 or so Credit River tags caught in the lake in the past 4 years, 93% have been killed. Whereas in the river fishery, out of 300 tags only 6% have been killed, with a 94% release rate. To add info to Wallico's post, many of the handfull of released lake steelhead with tags have shown at the Credit again the next fall or spring to spawn. So catch and release in the lake works just fine. And barbless hooks really help when your using a treble or 2/0 siwash and minimizing out of water time or not netting at all if possible.

John

OMA GOD!!!! WHAT EVER HAPPEND TO THIS BOARD. THIS IS A PLACE FOR PEOPLE TO MAKE FRIENDS AND ENJOY FISHING TIPS AND STORIES AND PICS. IF YOU WANT TO TELL PEOPLE WHAT THEY SHOULD AND SHOULD NOT DO TRY ANOTHER FISHING SITE. I HAVE HAD IT WITH ALL THE BULL crap FROM FISH HUNGERS. IF A GUY OR GAL WANTS TO KEEP A FISH THEN THAT IS UP TO THEM. IF THEY WANT TO LET THE FISH SMIM ANOTHER DAY THATS IS UP TO THEM TOO. WHO ARE YOU TO SAY WHAT A PERSON CAN AND CAN NOT DO??? IS YOUR NAME HITLER???? THIS IS A FREE COUNTRY AND FREE MEANS YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO CHOOSE WHAT YOU WANT TO DO AS LONG AS YOU LIVE BY THE RULES SET OUT BY THE M N R . THIS IS MY LAST WORDS ON THIS AND I'M SORRY JET YOU HAD TO PUT UP WITH THE BULL LIKE THIS.