Lake Abitibi

CementCarver

Thanks for allowing me to enter into your forum webpage.

A group of us are heading to Lake Abitibi at the beginning of July. We've heard of the large pickerel and pike fish in this lake. But we've also heard that the water is somewhat stained in colour.

Can anyone recommend what type of gear/setup we need to use to fish this lake? Is trolling better than still fishing with live baits?

I appreciate any help you can add.....

Thx..CementCarver

If this is the lake I am thinking about which is also referred to as Aba and you need to fly in from Nakina then just 1/8 or 1/4oz all black bucktail jigs or black twister tails will catch all the walleye you will ever want....we had 8 guys and caught 1080 walleyes plus 243 pike over a 7 day stay.

water is stained/murky....jigs and grubs or tipped with a minnow...slip float with bait...worm harnesses...williams spoons are effective....very shallow lake, 6-8 fow on average, deepest if you can find it is maybe 15....

lake is rough and can change very quickly, be smart and don't stay out, you WILL bottom out between big swells when it's rough

IMO it's more of a fish factory than a trophy lake for the eyes...monster pike for sure!...but eyes have been more numbers than size, lots up to 5 lbs, anything after that is a good fish....nothing bigger than 10lbs that we've seen personally....sauger, perch and ling as well

If this is the lake I am thinking about which is also referred to as Aba and you need to fly in from Nakina then just 1/8 or 1/4oz all black bucktail jigs or black twister tails will catch all the walleye you will ever want....we had 8 guys and caught 1080 walleyes plus 243 pike over a 7 day stay.

Billy Bob not the same lake. This one is on the Quebec-Ontario border East-North-East of Timmins.