Sudbury fishing and camping

SylvanOwner

I've just found out I'm going to Sudbury for a few days next week for a work conference and will be taking a few extra days vacation to enjoy the area.

I was hoping for some suggestions on camping and fishing spots in the area. Crown Land tenting is my preferred method and I'm not in the least bit fussy about fish species to catch as long as they are reasonably plentiful, cooperative and not contaminated - just for a few "shore lunches", not a meat fisherman.

I have a 14' tinny with a 25hp and a 4x4.

Any other suggestions on things to see, places to go in the area are welcome. I haven't been in the area for almost 25 years when on a family vacation and saw the sights then.

Thanks in advance for any help you may have to offer.

Dan

Dan if you are staying right in town try fishing lake Ramsey just before dark for some eyes head down to moonlight beach park and walk all the way across the beach then out along the rocks (there are paths just above them) go about half way to the summer camp pick a spot and have some fun.

When fishing this spot use very UL stuff nothing heavy at all I never used more then 4lbs line with a good UL rod and the lightest jig heads you can find. All your going to need is a black or unpainted jig head and motor oil color twister tail or mustard color ones if you can find them they are a little darker yellow. Wait until the sun is just about to set on the far end of the lake you will be looking at the RR tracks at the far end when its just about to set you are ready to rock (usually 8:45-9:15 is the best window but it does not last a full half hour) when you get your first eye keep in mind where it was and cast just ahead of where you got it as these eyes will move in a huge school and you can get a few each pass when they are in close then when they hit the beach and turn you can get them going back out a couple min later casting as far out as possible when you cast that jig let it sink to the bottom and bring it is as slow as you can and I mean slow so that its almost not moving just rais you rod tip and reel in the slack on the way down SLOW. Once the first couple pike are caught go home as the eyes a usually done then.One other thing I always used scents on my jigs every cast or so I would re apply it.

I used this style for many years living in Sudbury and would out fish everyone who would head down there they would get pissed as I could get them almost every cast I would watch the others and see what they are doing most had to heavy line or old crappy stuff like 1980's CTC 30' line and would be to fast so remember that UL AND SLOW are the ticket. Ramackos on HWY 17 comming into Sudbury in the 4 corners is a great place to learn go in and pick there brain they are amazing people.