Disgusted at the amount of Litter

ohhenrygsr

Henry, I was down at the beach walking my dog this morning and the place looks like a dump. There is garbage cans every 100 ft apart and you have to walk right past them on the way to the parking lot. And still people leave all there garbage all over the beach and shoreline. Absolutely disgusting. What is wrong with people today? Garbage thrown out of car windows all the way up the street as well. most of it is beer cans and empty water bottles. Maybe water bottles should be banned? I don't know.

Banning Water Bottles is a good route to go.

My girlfriend and I were walking up the beach last year and we walked for hours. We passed hundreds of people on the way and they were all swimming and enjoying the nice weather. When we walked back most of the people were gone but their garbage was all still there. Dangerous items too. Broken bottles, questionable food items, and some things that were hardly identifiable.

My old dog was twice cut on walks/swims by broken bottles.

Litter is a real issue, particularly in high pressure fishing areas and public swimming areas.

I often pick up garbage and sometimes come across a lure or two while I'm doing it. I know other members on these boards practice the same thing.

So, here is an idea:

How about the OFC tournament features a point bonus for teams that feature pictures of their members picking up litter with the OFC Community sign in the picture. This would be a good, fun way to do something good and get rewarded for it at the same time.

It's everywhere. A few weeks ago I was off and happened to notice quite a few kids picking up garbage. A closer look and I recognized what school the kids were from. So I called...spoke to the secretary and expressed my thanks. I told her that I often see the school's students on their lunch coming to the park and leaving their garbage on the ground and sometimes throwing it in the river. (that sets me off big time and I don't do well in keeping silent)

The year prior I had spoken to a few kids from high school who on their lunch left their garbage at the park bench. All three picked up the garbage and walked to the garbage can. One had an attitude and dropped his garbage beside the can instead of in it. They heard me tell him "nice" and his buddy picked it up.

I know it's not just kids.....I see garbage on the golf course too and in the parking lot....pretty sad.

I never really understood the people who pulled over at the side of the road to toss their timmies cups. Or those guys you see with ancient line on their reels stripping it off and dumping it in the bushes when their car and the trash can was right behind them…Whatever I take in, I take out.

A number of the steelhead rivers I fish can be dumps (especially in the fall)…That’s just the nature of the anglers who fish close to larger urban centers…I don’t complain about it - It’s pointless…I just do what I can to make it a better place when I leave…It’s also good for karma B)

P1010965.jpg

So far this year, I’ve been fishing trash-free stretches of rivers for the most part and I’m loving it :thumbsup_anim:

Guys I hope you will not get too mad at my reply. But as a land owner with river and pond frontage I have been forced to post my land [No Tresspassing] because of these type of persons.They leave trash to no end and some run away when they see me comeing or if they have been drinking they become arguemenative. At one time I allowed person's access to my land if they let me know. But after a while their buddies found out and it became a total nightmare.

Guys I hope you will not get too mad at my reply. But as a land owner with river and pond frontage I have been forced to post my land [No Tresspassing] because of these type of persons.They leave trash to no end and some run away when they see me comeing or if they have been drinking they become arguemenative. At one time I allowed person's access to my land if they let me know. But after a while their buddies found out and it became a total nightmare.

Tons of landowners have done the same...I don’t blame them…I lost a good spot on the Ganny when the farmer got pissed at the garbage left over from opener…I helped him pick up the trash each year but he got sick of it all and posted it. It also didn’t help that people used his fence posts for firewood…

I’ve always tried to keep excellent relations with the land owners who allowed me to fish their property by writing out personal contracts stating that I won’t litter or set their trees on fire – They also sometimes get a cheap bottle of wine…I also have a clause for my dad to join.

I’ve only ever had one minor incident with a landowner…But it wasn’t garbage related (it wasn't entirely my fault either)…Something to do with one of the farmer's daughters…I don’t go back there anymore…At least not to fish… :whistling:

Guest Johnny Bass

Yup. I've been showing my friend Mark all my spots from shore since he cant fish from a boat anymore, and alot of the places where I used to fish have been closed off to the public due to too many litterers. A few have to ruin it for everyone. Its a shame.....At this rate there will be no where to fish from shore, but you cant blame the owners......Blame the litterers.

I’ve only ever had one minor incident with a landowner…But it wasn’t garbage related (it wasn't entirely my fault either)…Something to do with one of the farmer's daughters…I don’t go back there anymore…At least not to fish… :whistling:

I know that place

I never really understood the people who pulled over at the side of the road to toss their timmies cups. Or those guys you see with ancient line on their reels stripping it off and dumping it in the bushes when their car and the trash can was right behind them…Whatever I take in, I take out.

A number of the steelhead rivers I fish can be dumps (especially in the fall)…That’s just the nature of the anglers who fish close to larger urban centers…I don’t complain about it - It’s pointless…I just do what I can to make it a better place when I leave…It’s also good for karma B)

P1010965.jpg

So far this year, I’ve been fishing trash-free stretches of rivers for the most part and I’m loving it :thumbsup_anim:

Wow... great idea Mike. :worthy: