Battery Issues...

Gerritt

Hey guys...

I went to top up my Interstate Cranking Battery today as I try to do monthly, and it is not pulling any current from the charger.. So I thought great! it is charged! Took it out to the boat installed it.. and nothing.

Ok I thought maybe dirty terminals... Clean them up put it back on charge.. still drawing no current. back into the boat and nothing...

I thought this is weird because it was fine 5 weeks ago! I opened up the caps and they are topped up.

OK maybe my charger is defective... grabbed another battery I have laying around put it on the charger, and it is drawing current.. So I know the charger is not the issue...

What would make my cranking battery just die in 5 weeks without use??

And can I use a plain old auto battery (Group 24f) in the mean time without damaging anything?

What would the differences be between the two batteries?

Thanks in advance guys I know I asked a few questions here...

G.

You can try hooking booster cables to your vehicle and your dead battery. Then let it run for about 15 minutes then put it back on the charger and see if it draws. This sometimes works because the alternator on your vehicle puts out more amps and might git er going for you. A car battery is okay for starting your boat motor also for the time being.

Hey guys...

I went to top up my Interstate Cranking Battery today as I try to do monthly, and it is not pulling any current from the charger.. So I thought great! it is charged! Took it out to the boat installed it.. and nothing.

Ok I thought maybe dirty terminals... Clean them up put it back on charge.. still drawing no current. back into the boat and nothing...

I thought this is weird because it was fine 5 weeks ago! I opened up the caps and they are topped up.

OK maybe my charger is defective... grabbed another battery I have laying around put it on the charger, and it is drawing current.. So I know the charger is not the issue...

What would make my cranking battery just die in 5 weeks without use??

And can I use a plain old auto battery (Group 24f) in the mean time without damaging anything?

What would the differences be between the two batteries?

Thanks in advance guys I know I asked a few questions here...

G.

What does the voltmeter say?Did you tricle charge them or just a quick charge?Check individual cells,in good working order its 2.1v per cell times 6.As you go along you may find the dead cell if there is one.

Put them on a tricle charge,may take a while.Then check them with a load tester(ctc or parts source can do it for you).

tAKE IT TO CANADIAN TIRE AND THEY CAN PUT IT ON CHARGER AND THEY WILL TELL YOU WHETHER ITS TAKING CHARGE.USUALLY NO CHARGE . I HAVE HAD BATTERIES THAT I'VE CHARGED AT HOME ,THEY SHOW FULLY CHARGED BUT WON'T CRANK MOTOR OVER.