Did a bear leave this ??

lew

Lew, possibly a bear, although it would have to be a pretty constipated one. Most of the bear scat around our neck of the woods looks like a pie filling with berries and such. As for black bears not eating fawns, a rather exhaustive study in PA showed the #1 predator of fawns was black bears not coyotes, and while black bears generally eat berries, nuts and the like, they are very opportunistic and definitely will prey on fawns.

I remember one time, out in B.C. on the north part of Vancouver Island, my girlfriend and I were hiking down a dried up creek bed and we heard some crashing in the bush about fifty feet behind us. We turned to look just in time to see a big, full grown deer jump out of the bush and take off full speed up the creek bed away from us. Then, there is more crashing noise, and this big black bear jumps out of the bush and stopped on the creek bed and looked at the deer running away on him. I'm sure that this bear was chasing that deer.

The scarey part was when the bear saw that the deer was getting away, he turned his head and saw us standing there and then took a few steps towards us. Like he was going to come after us instead. But then he stopped and stood up on his back legs and had a good look at us for a few seconds and then finally turned and disappeared into the bushes.

I almost left my own 'sample' right there. :blush: