oil by the prop

zman

Well i want to say thanks to everyone for helping me with the oil change on my 4 stoke . but i ahve another question

I just noticed a bit of oil dripping out around the prop on by 90HP I changed the oil in the lower unit before storage but is this something to be concerned about.

Well, its most likely lower unit gear oil. 2 possibilties, its coming out of the drain plug cause you didn't replace the gasket and/or tighten the plug, or its coming from the propshaft seal cause you have fishing line wrapped in there and its blown the seal...Remove the prop and thrust washer and check for fishing line...

What color is the oil...if real dark black it could be from the exhaust as this is usual after the motor is stored with the cylinders being treated before winter...if it's mostly clear it could be lower unit oil and you have a problem as noted in the above post...but if it's dark black go fishing.. :clapping:

What year and brand is the 90 hp

Oil ''DRIPPING '' from the exhaust on a four stroke.......No Way !!!

I would say you possibly overfilled the lower end or its leaking from the gasket on one of the plugs..or not tight enough like the other dude said

The gear oil on my Merc is somewhat dark .........right from the jug

What year and brand is the 90 hp

Oil ''DRIPPING '' from the exhaust on a four stroke.......No Way !!!

I would say you possibly overfilled the lower end or its leaking from the gasket on one of the plugs..or not tight enough like the other dude said

The gear oil on my Merc is somewhat dark .........right from the jug

I guess you don't fog your 4 strokes for winter storage then?

I would start at the exhaust and then move my way down the leg.

It could befrom his oil change as well. If not from these two spots then check gear oil caps then prop seal.

Remember oil runs down hill. :tease:

Edited by DRIFTER_016

I just noticed a bit of oil dripping out around the prop

Is it dripping from the end of the prop, where the exhaust is emitted or from in between the lower unit housing and the prop?

If from the center of the prop most likely engine oil residue; possibly from engine blow-by, due to sitting all winter or if the engine was fogged; it’s left over from that.

If the oil is from between prop and housing; then possibly lower unit seal.

Also organic gear oil (not so much synthetic) has a very distinctive smell; so if you have any left over from when you changed the lower end oil; compare the smell.

If you suspect that the oil is from the lower unit; you can have the lower end pressure tested by most any repair facility. It’s a very simple test procedure; by attaching a hand held air pump to the fill hole of the unit. Apply about 5psi; stand back and look for the source of the leak.

I would confirm what the source of this oil is; you must know what making an assumption usually makes us. LOL

Dan.

The big motor is not a 4 stroke its a 1998 evinrude 2 stroke 90hp

I changed the lower end oil before winter and also fogged the motor. I looked again this morning and it doen't seem to dripping as ba, but I'll chech again tonight

Its dripping around the where the prop is , The oild I changed the lower and in is clear oil this is Black Oil

Edited by zman

I changed the lower end oil before winter and also fogged the motor. I looked again this morning and it doen't seem to dripping as ba, but I'll chech again tonight

Its dripping around the where the prop is , The oild I changed the lower and in is clear oil this is Black Oil

Sounds like fogging oil to me, go fishing. :D

Makes sense now.. :thumbsup_anim: