Specks around Burks Fall/Magnetewan

ctranter

Thus far I am 0 for 3 in brookie outtings in southern ontario, although the rush of pursuing something new is almost satisfying enough. My question for you all is: Can you find brookies in small streams in and around the burks falls/magnetawan area? I know the lakes there very well (lots of love for Ahmic), but since I am opening up the cottage in the next week I thought Id throw some shiny stuff into streams and see what happens... But is there even a point? If they are not found in the region even searching is a waste of time. I have done google searches but found no info. I'm not looking for the names of specific streams of rivers (although I certainly wont object :)), rather just a "yep they're there go look for em", or a "nah don't bother they dont habit the region".

I know the classic response is "never hurts to go look for yourself", and the truth is I have in the past. But I'm not even positive that I would know how to spot them, let alone a body of water that sustains them.

Thus far I am 0 for 3 in brookie outtings in southern ontario, although the rush of pursuing something new is almost satisfying enough. My question for you all is: Can you find brookies in small streams in and around the burks falls/magnetawan area? I know the lakes there very well (lots of love for Ahmic), but since I am opening up the cottage in the next week I thought Id throw some shiny stuff into streams and see what happens... But is there even a point? If they are not found in the region even searching is a waste of time. I have done google searches but found no info. I'm not looking for the names of specific streams of rivers (although I certainly wont object :)), rather just a "yep they're there go look for em", or a "nah don't bother they dont habit the region".

I know the classic response is "never hurts to go look for yourself", and the truth is I have in the past. But I'm not even positive that I would know how to spot them, let alone a body of water that sustains them.

All kinds of speck creeks in that area! Try Jessops creek near Kearney! Hey I got an idea

Invite me up to your cottage and we'll find um! I LOVE specks! :Gonefishing: Gil

If you are trying a creek for specks take a panther martin, take the treble off of it and replace with a small single hook,,,put on a small bit of worm and cast into some of the faster water in the creek, if you do not get a bite at a few locations then go try another creek, have been using this method for 30 years and has worked for me every year...they are so aggressive they are sitting at the top of the pools ahead of all the chub and other minnows and hit the first thing coming past them... and good luck, I found my creek by driving around opening day a long time ago, pretty much only one other guy fishes it......tell by the lack of boot marks on the bank...

Wow All kinds of great advice, huge thanks. I have a 5'6 UL rod with an UL spinning reel that I will try with some 4-6 lb mono spooled and Ill grab one of those panther martins as well. Should I remove the treble's for lake specks too? Im going on an algonquin trip this weekend for fishing/camping and would love to find some lake brookies too.

Also, should I focus on specific colour patterns? (blue/silver I hear is popular, or white with gold spinner).

How about small rapalas?

Should I downsize the trebles on all tackle?

With my first active steelehead season just finished, I thought I had reached the pinnacle of challenges on the fresh water. I think I jumped the gun on that one