bark removed from pine trees

Rattletrap2

We were out for a walk in the forest tonight and noticed that several Pine trees had the bark stripped clean off of them way up high. I will get some pictures as soon as I can, but this bark removal is about 6 feet or more off the ground and all the way around the trunks. It is in patches above each set of branches. The bare trunk is shining through with little beads of sap.

I would hate to think that there is some sort of insect out there that could spread through the forest.

I searched around on the web, but found nothing. Everyone knows the real experts are here on OFC!!!

Any ideas?

They'll eat near any tree .. from the base to the last limb. Softwood/hardwood, they don't seem to care. Some years are worse than others, but sometimes it seems like every tree in the yard (40 acres) is stripped... other years.. like this year... they are stripped here and there, so I think the Fishers I've seen in the yard have been eating some of the Porqupines. For the most part, the trees seem to deal with it somehow. The same pine out by the pool has been stripped bare a few times and is currently patchy in spots from fresh eating..... but the fella responsible is done chewing.. permanently! :whistling:

Edited by irishfield

They'll eat near any tree .. from the base to the last limb. Softwood/hardwood, they don't seem to care. Some years are worse than others, but sometimes it seems like every tree in the yard (40 acres) is stripped... other years.. like this year... they are stripped here and there, so I think the Fishers I've seen in the yard have been eating some of the Porqupines. For the most part, the trees seem to deal with it somehow. The same pine out by the pool has been stripped bare a few times and is currently patchy in spots from fresh eating..... but the fella responsible is done chewing.. permanently! :whistling:

Thanks Wayne!