Huron creek 24th - trout opener

Dutchy

Me, splashhopper (Sleeping til 5am) and JJcanoe hit a Huron creek at midnight hoping to slam some big bows. Knew there would be alot of dropbacks, but were also hoping to hit into some big brookies (which didn't happen). I had walked the creek a week beforehand and seen some spots that were packed with fish.

Things started slowly, lost one decent sized fish, then started hitting these little roebag thiefs:

dsc02378w.jpg

JJcanoe managed to nab a couple of 7 inch shakers further upstream. He was fishing the creek in a forest and after he came back we heard the coyotes howling. They seemed fairly close.

Then we moved to a known hotspot which had been crowded at midnight. 2nd drift and I started slamming them, this 26 inch female the biggest:

dsc02382m.jpg

Ended up getting 6 bows ranging from 2lb to her above. All of the bows went back (including her above) except one spawned out smaller female that I kept. To try and help them get back to the lake, we put them downstream of a big logjam, but not surprisingly most just sat in the creek like this 4lb male I caught:

dsc02401c.jpg

Lots of fun had by all

Dutchy

nice going Dutchy....looks like the water was still high enough to be over Splashoppers head

He's fine. He wears scuba gear to wade. It just looks kinda funny seeing the 13 footer with a hand attached sticking outa the creek.

JF

nice going Dutchy....looks like the water was still high enough to be over Splashoppers head

LOL, I couldn't possibly comment on that.

All the bows were spawned out. but some C&R is always fun after 4 months of nothing.

HEY I HEARD THAT :asshat:

Congrats to Dutchy on his best ever trout opening weekend.

It sure made a difference using a TROUT rod this year compared to the SHARK ROD from last year :whistling: