Spring Speckle opener

jedimaster

Well, so the day started out at about 3:30am, like all good trout days. Woke up and snuck out of bed..Started looking for my clothes I had stashed away, and I couldn't find them. I woke up my girlfriend after scouring for abot 20 minutes in the dark so not to wake her. She says,"oh those old jeans? I through them in the wash they are in the dryer..." Thinking, crap they were already washed, but I say "oh thanks babe, go back to bed" I open the dryer, and they are soaked. I go back and say the dryer never got turned on, where are all my other pants? she says oh I washed them too. crap, now I am searching for something to wear and finally find some pants to throw on..Man o man, its now 4 oclock and I have to meet the other guy at 4 oclock and he with 20 minutes drive. I send him a text and say I am on my way and run out the door. We meet up and start the long drive up to Lost Lake. We make a few pit stops, for lunches and breakfasts and get to the trail head at 7:30. Later than we had hoped but not a big deal. Its a long hike in with our day supplies and canoe.to be exact its about 6.3km's portage. about halfway in at a flooded creek we meet up with a group of guys coming out, they said the specks are hitting good good and most of there group limited out. we shoot the crap for a bit and then we cary on. We get to the lake by about 9am, we made amazing time but the trail was brutal and the lots of deadfall. I was crawling with the canoe on my head under several trees. I sure wish my partner opted for the aluminun gunnels, because at 55lb's that canoe was really starting to hurt atabout the 5km mark. Anyway, we get to the lake, do a quick check of our gear, and head out on the water. We paddle the lake for a bit scoping things out getting a feel for the depth. He casts a few times and as do I. Nothing really happening so I see a nice little section of the lake that looks good. On the wind swept North East side of the lake. We drop anchor and I toss my little rig out on the water. WHAMMM!!! fish on. first realy cast of the trout opener and within second my partner lands a nice 16" brookie for me. With my heart pounding, I toss another worm on my setup and cast it out to the same spot, with my eye on my partner getting the stringer out, BAMMM!!! fish number 2 another 17 incher. He doesn't even have the first one on the string yet and I got another one in the boat. He looks at me and says "Dude save some for me ok" we laugh and put them on the stringer. I make another cast and BANG!!! smack another one now he says "what the hell are you using gimmie one of those" I toss him one and he ties up and we cast together. BANG BANG double headerI got 4 on the stringer he has one. This is unbelievable. I cast another one and BAM> 5 fish in 5 casts in about 10 minutes. this one got off while he was trying to land it as we didn't have a net. Now normally a lost fish at the boat is a bad thing but it was just like well I'll just cast again and hit anotherone. I make my sixth cast and yep you guessed it WHAM!!! 6th fish now my fifth on the stringer in 6 casts. So now its been about 15 minutes and I pinch the barbs on my hooks and start doing some catch and release. my partner ended the day with 6 landed, 5 on the stringer, and I landed 15 or so, and lost many out on the water as I didn't have barbs.As we are leaving I am burning my lure in and its hanging off the side of the boat as I reach for my paddle and wham for good measure a beuatiful 22" bright red speck nearly takes my vrod for a swim. Laughing all the way back from the 5 hours of amazing fishing we come back to the portage and pack up and start the long long portage back tot he car.

When we get back about 2 hours out. We are in serious pain from the extra weight of the fish. A pair of guys come out behind us about 10 minutes later as we are loading up. They ask us if we were with the group that was in the red truck, we said no but we think we talked to them when we were on the way in. The guy said yah we saw them cutting off some bobbers this morning as they were headed out, and turn out they were using minnows. A big no no on this lake as its a no live bait only worms allowed. We were a bit pissed as the guys were bragging about how good they were fishing saying how they were all using a black and yellow spinner and blah blah blah. I sure wish we had there plate number.

Oh well what can you do I mean on this lake you could do no wrong it seemed although we were the only ones that had fish jumping in the boat, but everyone we chatted to caught fish.

Well what an opener, I couldn`t ask for more. My partner was extactic and Lost Lake truly panned out for us. Even though my shoulders are still hurting it was definatly worth it. The biggest we kept was two 19`s the rest all about 16, and weighing between 1.5 and 2 pounds.

I hope everyone out there had a most amazing journey like we did. Thanks to the folks that offered up some brookie advise, although I ended up using our old technique from the early 80`s it was much appreciated, and now I have a nice collection of unused spinners and cranks. :) I am sure if I tossed them we would have caught some too.

specks.jpg

Here is a

well there was definatly pain. Thank god I have good boots, my fishing partner said his feet are killing him. I told him make sure you have good hiking boots, but he showed up with waterproof construction boots. He is regreting it now thats for sure.