Chandos Lake

jedimaster

I am gonna be staying on Chandos Lake for the Bass opener with the kids this year and was wondering if anyone has any info they might be able to share. Hoping to get into some smallies I heard they dominate the loake over the buckets. Also if anyone has a cottage for rent or know a place that rents on the lake that would be great. PM me if you want to keep an info on the down low.

I wish I could help you Jedi....the only thing I know is that Chandos has monster pike, and I mean monster pike. 3 fish tourny's guys are coming in with 40 to 48 pounds...unbelievable.

This years tourney is on May 29th.

I am gonna be staying on Chandos Lake for the Bass opener with the kids this year and was wondering if anyone has any info they might be able to share. Hoping to get into some smallies I heard they dominate the loake over the buckets. Also if anyone has a cottage for rent or know a place that rents on the lake that would be great. PM me if you want to keep an info on the down low.

I was there for 5 days during mid August. Caught mostly smallies and a few decent ones. The days I went for pike I only got 1-3 pounders, but they were plentiful.

If you are going for smallies there is a secluded bay (one of the only on the lake it seemed) where they were hitting top water baits all day. It was a lot of fun. we also saw 2 pileated woodpeckers only 25-30 feet away.

Hope the pics work... first time posting any

chandos.jpg

chandos1.jpg

chandos2.jpg

chandos3.jpg

Chandos Lake is a beauty. not sure about rentals .. but i have fished it two or three times with my little cousins just trying to get them to catch little fish .. but by the end of the day we would have 3lb smallies flying outa the water. as well as a few pike!

Try

http://www.chandosla...ewcottages.com/

Awesome lakers in Chandos .....

A fish story...

After many conversations about hitting Chandos Lake (Just east of Apsley Ontario), my neighbor up-north, Harry, who is an avid laker angler and I decide to grab my boat and head over to Chandos in search of the legendary fishes that inhabit it. We launched at the north end around 2:30 pm just after a mild storm front had moved through and preceding what would be a larger storm later. We where fishing in clear sky's and the steamy heat of a mid-day in early July. We cruised for about 15min until we found 70+ ft of water depth. All of a sudden my Lowrance lit up with more fish marks then the demo screen. The marks where so thick and many, that the Lowrance kept changing auto-depth, thinking that the fish ½ way down was the bottom of the lake!

We set up the down-riggers each with lucky strike canoe spoons, pearl colour with big red dot, tipped with minnows. Almost immediately Harry's rigger goes off, he feverishly grabs the reels and begins to haul in a big fighter but alas it has only grabbed the back of the minnow, bit it short, leaving nasty looking, ragged entrails drooping from the minnow head.

With great expectation we quickly re-rigged and setup for another run. No more than 15min later his rod fires off again. This time we have a hook set. He begins reeling, drag starts peeling. I quickly pull in the other line and riggers and throw the boat in neutral. Still more drag going. 200+ FT of 50lbs Power Pro is being peeled off of the reel. Finally Harry starts gaining line. The 9ft TDR rod is just-a thumping. I ask Harry if he wants the net...his reply was the memorable line of the day..."I don't think that net is big enough!" Not sure if he was messing with me or not, so I grab both the net and gaff. By this time a SeaDoo with 3 spectators pulls up to watch the commotion.

Finally after 15 long tense minutes we see a flash beneath the surface "Holy Crap! "

I drop the net....and wrap the gaff strap around my wrist. The beast comes to the surface and Harry manoeuvres it towards me. I slip the gaff under the gill plate and heave it into the boat. The SeaDoo audience gives us a standing ovation.

"Oh my gawd...." ~20lbs of glistening gray beauty, 36 inches in length. With only 1 point of the fine wire treble holding it by the mouth. Harry had skilfully loosened the drag and avoided horsing the fish which would have lost it for sure. His previous personal best was 10lbs this was almost double. He didn't stop shaking for an hour!

IMG_0036-small.jpg