Online Back-up

blaque

Ive been backing up my work files to a 100GB external hard drive for quite a while.....(engineering and design models and drawings)...I put them on two seperate hard drives and store them in two different locations off site. I dont have an IT guy at my location and none of my files are on a networked drive or server so they dont get backed up with the rest of the network. I will not put my files on the network for others to monkey with and its just too slow to bring them on and work on them off the network anyway. So im stuck with my local drive and bakcing up myself.

Question is, does anyone use an online service to back-up. I'd like to look into it as another option. Any suggestions or details.

Ive been backing up my work files to a 100GB external hard drive for quite a while.....(engineering and design models and drawings)...I put them on two seperate hard drives and store them in two different locations off site. I dont have an IT guy at my location and none of my files are on a networked drive or server so they dont get backed up with the rest of the network. I will not put my files on the network for others to monkey with and its just too slow to bring them on and work on them off the network anyway. So im stuck with my local drive and bakcing up myself.

Question is, does anyone use an online service to back-up. I'd like to look into it as another option. Any suggestions or details.

I've heard a lot of people say they've subscribed to one of the auto uploaders (about $5/mo) that do realtime backups. My cousin has his real estate office subscribed and likes it.

I've been playing around with a free setup called Dropbox. I was actually working in it today building a presentation for my company. It isn't bad for my kind of work. If you get too much stuff you can buy more space but I think the free limit is pretty high.

My wife is a records mgmt consultant. She just carries a 2.5" drive and backs up regularly.

JF

GOOGLE MAIL!!!!!!

My workplace has used it for 6 yrs. now. You can save documents, pictures, etc. in the documents area, all grouped together so you can find it fast. It is super easy, and it is off site. I can't believe it's free really. I have a google account that I use for my personal e-mail, and still have my 50 free invites since 3 or more years ago. Standard available storage is around 7500 megs. With all the crap my sisters have sent me, I have only used 3 percent of my total available storage, :lol: :lol:

Want me to use one of my invites???????

I use Mozy www.mozy.com it's fantastic.

Automatically uploads any changed or new files in directories that you mark for backing up, or you can set it to backup based on file type ie: all JPGs, MP3s, whatever... The first upload will take some time, mine was 20GB and it trickled out over a few days, but after that the updates are usually very quick.

I had to use it a few months back after I blue-screened and had to re-install my OS. Recovery was flawless, again took awhile to get that 20GB back down but it was well worth the $5 a month I'm paying.

My only issue so far, if you bulk move files from one directory to another where both are set to back up I'm pretty sure it freaks out and starts uploading files instead of just moving them around in the backup location... Otherwise it gets the old two thumbs up :thumbsup_anim: