Merc & synthetic?

Tybo

I've missed placed my Merc Manual.

I look on the web and found nothing to say that it's

not recommended to run synthetic.

I have a Verado 200 4 cylinder.

If any one has info that I should not use synthetic.

Please post the info.

It's already running on a synthetic blend.. do not go full synthetic.

They use to recommend 20W40 synthetic blend. Then the year after I bought mine they came out with a specific 25W50 synthetic blend just for the Verado. Weird part.. special oil.. lower sale volume.. CHEAPER price. It's $10 cheaper a gallon than the 20W40 !

quicksilver%20verado%204%20stroke%204l.jpg

Edited by irishfield

I would use the Amzoil, it exceeds all the Merc specs and is cheaper and in my opinion a better product.

Thanks but I'm about the farthest thing away from being mechanically gifted and the motor is still relatively new so I prefer to stay with the manufacturer's specs for my own peace of mind. Also, the couple of extra bucks isn't going to kill me.

9.9 four stroke, use Mercury 20W40....they recommend that same oil for my 60.

20W40 or 10W30... both recommended depending on temp range. Considering I do a lot of trolling in the cold, I use 10W30. The marina uses Esso in all of their outboards (suspect since that's where they get their gas!) and so do I in the Kicker. Plain old oil.. it doesn't need anything better. As for any savings.. on 10 ounces of oil ! :rolleyes:

Someone.. Mobil 1.. tried to get fancy with airplane oil once and it only cost them about 30 million in engine overhauls! There be no sythetic oil running in lycomings and continentals that is certified. They've tried and all run away with their tails between their legs!

For one thing, synthetics are only partly compatible with petroleum oils and, more importantly, with seals and gaskets that are used in aircraft engines. There is no doubt that when switching aircraft engines over to synthetic that the likelihood of seal and gasket failure is quite high. The longer the engine has been operated since overhaul, the higher the risk. Anyone who says otherwise is not being straight with you.

Another problem is that synthetics do a VERY lousy job of holding contaminants in suspension, which is a big issue with an aircraft engine that is not running a filter (most don't). They run on a screen only. If you doubt that, ask the synthetic oil people why they don't sell an approved AD aircraft piston engine oil.

That said... 9.9's (well at least Paul's and mine) don't have an oil filter either. I will not use a synthetic oil in it, period!

Edited by irishfield

I recall reading that about Mobil 1. Thanks for the info on airplane engines Wayne. Does the Verado 200 have an oil filter? I know alot of guys including myself that won't run Merc oil in our Mercs because we have come to the conclusion that there are much better products on the market to safegaurd our engines. Nothing out there gets as abused as a tourney bassboat engine. There off or w.o.t. I see it in tourneys all the time with engines blowing up. And if you ask the guy what kind of oil he uses it's usually just plain old oil or Merc or whatever make there engine is. My engine is 10 yrs old and still running strong. As soon as my warrenty was up I switched to Amzoil. Last year I had my head gaskets changed (Preventative maintenance)and my mechanic could not believe the condition of my heads when he had them off. He said they still look new. same as my piston tops no carbon deposits.Engines three yrs old using factory spec oil are loaded with carbon everywhere. Ive see the exhaust completely plugged with carbon on engines using factory spec oil. Just my opinion. I use Amzoil in my truck, gennie, lawnmower etc. And no I'm not an Amzoil rep. But I have seen first hand what factory spec oil does to high horsepower engines.

Yep.. the 200 and my 275 both have oil filters. The 9.9 does not and why I won't run a synthetic or a blend in it. Suspension of contaminants with dinsasour oil = engine longevity.

With the Verado.. I figure if Merc took the time to (get someone to ) reformulate the oil specifically for it in 2008.... and it's a Synthetic/Dinasour blend as well.. if they felt the engine could be better served by full synthetic they would have gone that route. Suspecting the high temps of the supercharger, etc need the dinasour oil to carry away the contaminants to the filter. They also claim higher shear strength with the blend than full synthetic and less oil consumption.

I'm no expert on it when it comes to outboards... but when it comes to airplanes I have over a dozen pilots (+ their passengers) lives that depend on my oil/ maintenance decisions and (so far :ninja: ) they're all happy.

Edited by irishfield

For 25 years my Johnson has been burning Dino oil without any problems and if you heard it you would think it's brand new....I started out using Johnson oil...then Lubermatic oil...and now Walmart oil for the last 8-10 years....basically ALL the same stuff...just some charge more than others.

BTW I have the dreaded VRO system on that puppy....:<)