Clear vs. tinted Fluorocarbon

Garry2Rs

There is a story kicking around the Internet that Tinted Fluorocarbon is "weaker" than Clear Fluorocarbon.

My question is; "If a Fluorocarbon line tests 100 pounds and is pink, how is it weaker than a clear line also labeled 100 pound test?"

I found this on Seaguar's Website:

"Actually adding color to 100% fluorocarbon makes it weaker, as the dye pigments mix with the fluorocarbon resins."

So it appears that the source of this "tinted is weaker story" is Seaguar...A company who is a direct competitor of Yo-Zuri, who is the manufacturer of a pink tinted Fluorocarbon line.

Here is Yo-Zuri's version of the Tint vs. Clear issue:

"Fluorocarbon is only invisible until it gets nicked or scraped up. If this happens, that section of the leader actually lights up from the sunlight. The color pink added to the line helps reduce this problem keeping an anglers invisibility intact. Ultimately the combination of fluorocarbon and the color pink will double your invisibility advantage and increase your chance for hookups!"

Personally, I think all of this is just the opposing views of two advertising departments...GRIN.

Obviously if there were any great advantages, either company could make tinted or clear line!

If Seaguar is right, about the dye, then this might be where another opinion, that I have seen, was born. That opinion suggests that tinted 100 pound might really only 90 or 95 pound test while 100 pound clear could actually be 105 or 110 pound test.

I reject this on the grounds that all lines are intentionally under-rated.

(Except for special Saltwater lines where World Records are based on "pound-test line classes.")

Perhaps this is because it would be sudden death, for any line company, to have their line exposed as not meeting their stated strength.

Therefore if the 100 pound pink is 105 or 108 vs clear's 108 or110 so what?!

I contracted for 100 pound test and got more than what I paid for either way!

If we can agree that all lines are under-rated isn't this stronger - weaker issue irrelevant?

Please tell me, what you think?

Garry2R's

Kind of hard to say without empirical data from both companies to back up their comments. Maybe tackletour could sit down and do a strength test (using the same knot) and then an underwater visibility test after nicking both lines. Of course they would have to emulate a fishes eye visible spectrum. Also would be cool if they could do the visibility test at different depths. I doubt line visibility matters too much in stained water and to a pike. Clear water for trout on the other hand..

Edited by Syn

Excuse my ignorance,..but Ive never even heard of 'colored' flourocarbon...doesnt that defeat the purpose? as far as visibility goes anyway? Dont pay much attention to lb test rating...look at the diameter. Unless its IGFA or whatever,..the lb test means notta. For flourocarbon steelhead leaders compare Drennan 4lb with Froghair 8.8lb test,..nearly the exact same diamter,..one is certified, the other isnt. just my $0.02

Won't be long till they have fluoro will all the characteristics of mono, but the same price as Flouro

Better yet, Full Diameter Braid now with Stretch!!

Edited by Weeds

Therefore if the 100 pound pink is 105 or 108 vs clear's 108 or110 so what?!

I contracted for 100 pound test and got more than what I paid for either way!

If we can agree that all lines are under-rated isn't this stronger - weaker issue irrelevant?

Please tell me, what you think?

ARe diameters the same? It's so hard to compare because diameters are rarely the same even within one company and their comparable products that I rarely pay attention to numbers unless it looks way off what i'm used to. It's possible that your #105 pink is #110 clear, but then maybe they thin out the clear product so you're still getting #105? I don't know, I've never really paid attention. I have one pink FC that's so darn opaque that i'm surprised it was sold as FC. It's as solid pink as you can imagine, like casting a wire with glowing pink plastic insulation, that's what the line looks like. I'll get a picture if i have time later. I like the line's strength, abrasion resistance and knot strength so i don't mind, but i would never use this for a leader material, i actually tie on a clear leader tip for this because the coloring is so solid.