Crappies soon

gil

Oh yup, And I wanted to ask this:

Do you guys continue to use ice fishing sized jigs (size 8, 10, 12) with small baits when the ice just melts? Or are you guys already using normal sized jigs by then?

I don't use jigs at all. Although I'm usually targetting gills, with crappie catches being incidentals. Here's a pasted report I did last year on some ice out panfish techniques...

Cheers,

Ryan

Hit the reservoir one last time this morning, and decided to do a more in depth report than "went out with the kid and smashed them" :lol:

So, as most of you have seen, these past few weekends I've taken my daughter out to fish early season Panfish from shore. I've been landlocked seeing as our second child is due anytime. Anyways, the panfish trips, albeit from shore, are a nice way to get into the swing of things, and to get some good eatin' fish early on in the season. This fishing is probably one of the easiest ways to get kids into the sport, but can also be a ton of fun for the seasoned angler as well. It's not all dew worms and red bobbers.

IMG_4402.jpg

IMG_2328.jpg

Quick and simple, look for warm water, with submerged cover, that has easy access to deeper water and you should find fish. Creek mouths, with early growth vegetation and submersed brush or fallen tree's are good places to start as well. Don't forget to keep your eyes peeled for beaver huts, as they've been very productive for us this season. The crappie will be looking to start their spawn, and although bluegill don't spawn until a little later in the season, they'll be holding in similar areas. And hey, you may even catch the odd bonus fish, like Averie's first encounter with a rainbow trout.

IMG_4400.jpg

Technique #1:

One of the best ways to quickly find these tasty, and feisty little fish, is to cast or slowly troll micro crank baits. Most people prefer tiny spinner baits, but I just find that cranks have out-performed spinners for me in the past, and tend to get more hook-ups. Well today, one of my first casts out, I snag a tree, and lose the only micro crank I packed. If I was in my boat I could just head on over and get my bait back, but oh well.

In the past I've used Mini Rapapla's, as well as BPS brand micro cranks.

IMG_1065.jpg

Dumbass Tip #1: Always pack more than one crankbait, even when you're hauling everything in by foot....even with a 2 year old on your shoulders. So much for plan "A".

IMG_4399_2.jpg

When the fish are on, there's no better way to catch Them. Also, the plus side of crankbait fishing for panfish, is it's a big fish technique. You spend more time fishing for keepers, and less time taking tiny fish off your line. Which brings me to technique #2.

The good old Berkley Powerbait pink trout worm under a slip float.

IMG_4532_2.jpg

This bait is hard to beat for spring panfish, the only down-side is you better be willing to weed out the small ones. After about an hour of fishing I must have caught 50+ fish and only had 4 keepers. As soon as your bait hits the water the little 3"ers hammer it.

IMG_4510_2.jpg

If you're out to get your kids into fishing, this is the way to do it, but if you're out to bring home some eaters, you better have patience. We forgot our pliers this morning, which was BRUTAL. Try getting a #10 or so hook out of a 3" sunfish's mouth. Not an easy feat.

So Dumbass tip #2: always bring your needle nose pliers.

108743.jpg

Once the kids are satisfied that they've caught enough fish themselves, and are busy playing with the fish you've put into a livewell, or cooler filled with water, you can go back to fishing a crankbait, or throwing some larger soft plastics.

Technique #3:

Something I stumbled upon this year was wacky rigging tiny senko type worms.

IMG_4538.jpg

Fishing them weightless, with NO FLOAT gives you one major advantage, you're always going to end up in the strike zone at some point during the cast. With spring gills and especially crappie, If you're bait isn't at the right depth, they often won't hit. It might be just under the fish, or a little to high to bring them up. With this rig, you just toss it out and let it slowly sink to the bottom. This way, no matter what the magical depth is, your bait will eventually be in their strike zone. When you're float fishing you have to constantly move your bobber stop. Maybe you set it to shallow, then to deep the next cast. With this set up, if there's fish in the area, you're going to get a bite.

Another advantage is that, because you're using a bigger bait, with a bigger hook, you tend to zero in on the bigger fish.

IMG_4518.jpg

IMG_4475.jpg

IMG_4525_2.jpg

Anyways, we've taken home a few dozen panfish over the course of the last few weeks, learned a few things and made some solid memories.

IMG_4528_2.jpg

So do yourself a favor and take a kid out panfishing this season, I guarantee you'll have a lot of fun, and you might just find a new early season species to target. That wraps up my "haresting" for the season. I'm having a baby (hopefully soon or my wife is going to snap) and once that settles it'll be pike action on the bay until bass opener.

I know this stuff is all pretty run of the mill info for most of you guys, but my intention is to help out some of the younger, or less experienced members of the board. Or maybe even to get some of you guys to try something new.

As usual, have fun, and be safe.

Cheers,

UF

Hey I've watched you put a big hurt on the Slabs using your Tony's specials...as Beansie calls them. HEHE...you will get buried in PM's now.

But this winter I did clean the tackle shoppe in Innisfil out of my secret colour that they don't make anymore so I should be able to at least catch as many as you this spring. Should have seen the look on the kids face when I took all 11 bags they had left :P

Tony has been there and done that...you couldn't find any of his "specials" for love nor money...

The manufacturer reneged and started making them again...

Tony has been there and done that...you couldn't find any of his "specials" for love nor money...

The manufacturer reneged and started making them again...

Yep and I have a bag or 2....but I can't buy a fish on them. The man has the touch...that's all I can say.Some fishermen catch fish cause they put in the time....that's me. Some catch fish cause they just know. Buckster is in that group.

PS Tony...I love you like a brother...but I hate you too...lol.

:)

Yep and I have a bag or 2....but I can't buy a fish on them. The man has the touch...that's all I can say.Some fishermen catch fish cause they put in the time....that's me. Some catch fish cause they just know. Buckster is in that group.

PS Tony...I love you like a brother...but I hate you too...lol.

The feeling is mutal when you take me to your perch hole! lol

:)

The feeling is mutal when you take me to your perch hole! lol

I know that feeling first hand Tony...

The ratio is about CPH 5 : Beans 1...

Sound about right to you ???

Come to think of it, Cph usually beats me in the carp department also... :blush:

Edited by Beans

Remember to check the new regulations for different areas...lots of changes to daily limits...30 only in zone 17 (Kawarthas)

Kept 35 crappie once from a Kawarthas lake a couple of years ago. It was a lot of work cleaning them but worth it.

Thirty per person seems sufficient.

I saw you Beans in that spot that day. :ph34r: