Building Floating Docks

nelly

Every year during the early spring, my friend and I do some crappie fishing at his cottage but before we do, we put in the docks the old fashion way. Go in the cold water with the hammer and all. Putting a floating dock would be great. Is there away of cutting the cost down when building your own and is it easy to do? How much would be the cost on an average for a small dock? Thank-you all!

Nelly, I investigated most avenues over the winter of 2005 and found that for the minimal difference there was between materials and finished product..I let them build them and just picked them up. (they deliver to local lakes of course). After visiting many lumber yards and discussing things I went with Castle/Northland Building Supplies in Parry Sound, as they seemed to be the only ones that appeared to know what they were doing and would custom build to my drawings of what I wanted. If you want a definite quote contact Jim Curry 705-746-5894 They generally have many prebuilt, come spring, ready to go in standard sizes.

To give you an idea of pricing in Pressure Treated (Cedar isn't worth it anymore...no trees big enough to get the old benefit of the oils they had in them!) and also keep in mind any hinges you need are on top of these prices and run $60/set

4 x 16' = $1000

4 x 20' = $1283

Note that unless you have a 4' wide solidly hinged to something like a main dock...people are going to fall off it when it rocks/tips.

6 x 20' = $1340

4 x 10 Ramp = $280

6 x 8' Ramp = $275

Wayne

docksboat.jpg

Thanks for all the help and suggestion and I will pass this along for my buddy to read and think about. Currently he has 4 or 5 docks and all he needs to do is attach them together and put the pipes in. Would it be possible to covert those docks and use those huge blue chemmical barrel? I think they run around $40. each. Good idea or not?

Thanks for all the info. Irishfield.

Nelly I have a friend with a dock done with barrels. He turned his 90* to what most do them and this stopped the tippyness as well as made in/out easy. He put the barrels under the dock and secured them with aircraft cable around the flared ends of the plastic barrels...and made them just tight enough to hold the barrels. This way they roll down his yard and right into the lake..same coming out.

About 15 years ago I made a floating dock. I cleaned and painted 2 fuel oil tanks. Put one at each end. The dock was 4 ft wide and to keep it steady I drove 4 steel pipes well into the mud. I then made brackets that attached to the dock with another piece of pipe larger diameter. These would slide over the driven in pipes. I welded nuts to the dock brackets so bolts could thread into tighten against the driven in pipes. This not only stabilized the dock but also could be adjusted to changing water levels. In the fall i tightened the bolts and the dock would stay high and dry when they let the water level drop in Nipissing. Worked out very well. Different areas and shoreline conditions will vary and there are many ways to build or purchase. Is the area your friend in difficult to keep a dock? Is ice and wind a problem in the spring? Could you make a dock with wheels on it. What about a permanent style dock?