ice out st.lawrence pike fishing

hi everyone...just seeing if this site can prve to be usefull...im looking for some advice on fishing for pike on the st.lawrence river in early spring...im putting my boat in tomorow and i thought i would try some pike fishing...there is still ice on most of the bays but some are open... i guess im wondering about typical structure for this situation and possible lures to try...i was thinking soft plastics in an area that has pike in the winter...

Any thoughts...please

Even if the typical spawning bays are still frozen over, focus on the first main drop off into deeper water adjacent to the spawning bays. They might be staging out there. Ussually suspending jerkbaits such as husky jerks or deep down husky jerks will work well. The key is to work the bait pretty slow with long pauses. Some fish in your area might already be spawning so getting them to bite may be tough. Good luck, and let us know how you make out.

• 2 weeks later...

north shores (south facing) with dark bottoms attract the most sun & heat -- and for longer periods of time than their northern facing counterparts. focus on these, the fish will be attracted to them.

the jerkbaits are the bait of choice but dont forget about a good ole jig with a big piece of rubber either.

I was on the Larry last night. Most of the ice is gone. I tried for a couple of hours using husky jerks and got nothing. My girlfriend was jigging for perch at the same time. We didn't get anything. I have a couple of buddies that can catch a pike in a mud puddle I'm sure. They have landed a couple of ten pounders just to rub it in my face. I'm just not used to fishing this early. The spot I wanted to go to was too far for now.

It sure did feel good to be back in the boat again :)