Musky "Must-Have's"...

rbaquial

...is that Savagear stuff really not all that good? Do you REALLY think I paid full price for that?! :@ :wallbash:

As Wayne Brady would say: do I have to choke a *****?! :@

.... I'm heading there tomorrow anyway. so... :dunno:

EDIT: I didn't realize this topic would cause such a stir! :jerry:

Edited by A2F

I was at Bass Pro tonight and picked up one of those savgagegear jointed baits, and a glide bait . The jointed ones seem a little small though but the glide baits are ok . If I were you I'd buy two M&G musky spinnerbaits , one black/chartruese and black/orange. Lebaron's sells them cheaper so take a copy off the website or take a lebaron's catalog and they may do a price match. Also pick up some Mustad 8/0 treble hooks,some split rings and I'll pm you how I modify the spinnerbaits.

Knipex cutters are nice when cutting hooks to save the fish from possibly dying.

I was at Bass Pro tonight and picked up one of those savgagegear jointed baits, and a glide bait . The jointed ones seem a little small though but the glide baits are ok . If I were you I'd buy two M&G musky spinnerbaits , one black/chartruese and black/orange. Lebaron's sells them cheaper so take a copy off the website or take a lebaron's catalog and they may do a price match. Also pick up some Mustad 8/0 treble hooks,some split rings and I'll pm you how I modify the spinnerbaits.

Knipex cutters are nice when cutting hooks to save the fish from possibly dying.

Yeah, I'm going back there tomorrow... How many of the savagear's did you see left? Last I was there... I saw maybe 12-14 lures left....

there was around 20 left ,but was told they have more in the back. I bought the firetiger jointed one and the 'jack' glide bait. I think to jointed ones are a little small as a big fish would probably swallow the bait and make it difficult to get out. If it was me I'd return some of the jointed ones you bought and buy a grandma or jake (firetiger or perch color)or a double d bait (10 inch baits).

I'd also recommend a topwater prop bait of some kind.

my list would include

knipex cutters

2 spinner baits M&G's

glide bait

topwater prop bait

10" grandma or jake for trolling

there was around 20 left ,but was told they have more in the back. I bought the firetiger jointed one and the 'jack' glide bait. I think to jointed ones are a little small as a big fish would probably swallow the bait and make it difficult to get out. If it was me I'd return some of the jointed ones you bought and buy a grandma or jake (firetiger or perch color)or a double d bait (10 inch baits).

I'd also recommend a topwater prop bait of some kind.

my list would include

knipex cutters

2 spinner baits M&G's

glide bait

topwater prop bait

10" grandma or jake for trolling

Wicked!! Thanks Man... I don't have access to a boat... so, im trying to stick with lures that work best for me.

But I will definitely be looking into grabbing a few more tomorrow...

Wicked!! Thanks Man... I don't have access to a boat... so, im trying to stick with lures that work best for me.

But I will definitely be looking into grabbing a few more tomorrow...

Maybe its me, but didn't you start this thread asking for opinions on what lures/equipment to get.......you had a bunch of people give you great (deeply insightful) advice, and then you followed none of it....?

Weird. Why bother wasting your (and everyone else's) TIME?

Lack of experiance? Bah, you've never seen my "left hook".

Internet tough guy with a gaff....look out.

Back to the post.

1. 8'6" St. Croix or Loomis - (if you have the cash)

2. Quantum Cabo high vol. reel.

3. 50lb braid min and some fluro leaders

4. Musky Bucks, Suicks, Believers etc.

AND LAST but not least...

5. A big damn net that you can land a trophy in....maybe something with a longer handle than a 4-5 foot gaff.

Xeon - Your favourite rapala colour purple CLOWN-flash by any chance?

Usually when a bait goes on sale for $3 from $15 there a good reason. but I guess at $3 anything is wortha shot.

I haven't used teh gliden raps, but the gusy at in-fisherman rave about them for pike and musky.

SXR-14 is a good early season musky lure and big pike gobble em' up, I think you will be happy Dirk.

CRAM: I didn't say I was going to buy EVERYTHING before my 1st adventure for hunting for Esox! I'm not rich! :P

MuskyGreenHorn: What does the SXR14 look like?

To whomever invited me to a Musky Hunt: For sure, I will definitally be contacting you for a trip!

One reason i am advocate of x-rap (even though they are cheaply made) is they are easy to work. One of the easiest jerkbaits out there to work. I do want to try out the max-rap this season and the husky jerk is also great. X-raps seems to work no matter how fast or slow you work them. I have trolled them, ripped them in super fast and also caught fish on super long death pauses. I have caught musky, northerns, bass, and walleye on them, and i here guye nail trout and salmon on them too. Once the water warms up though, i move on to bigger jerks for musky. Just be prepared to break lots.

• 2 weeks later...