North Bay Eyes

Dara

My daughter sent me an urgent text message today. She needs ice fishing gear. Seems she was out last week and ended up with a couple perch and one nice hit. Now she has the bug.

All she had was a spool of line, a couple hooks and some minnows. I am sending her some proper lines and a few more hooks. Not being from around there I am wondering just what little goodies to send and would also like to give her directions as to where to fish.

She has a car but it will not be going on the ice. She will be walking out there.

Any recomendations as to tackle and directions to send her in would be appreciated. In pm if you don't want a spot too crowded.

Thanks guys.

Dara

Well first off lots of people are driving there cars on the ice on nip,it has about 30inches of ice and very little snow.Right now best bet might be Callander Bay. Not very far to walk out either. Where I just got back from(today) South Shore was fairly slow but they have some great plowed roads out on the ice and would suspect they do also in Callander. As far as gear the walleyes we caught were all on small jigging spoons like a "walleye hawg or crippled herring" tipped with a shiner . Set lines with minnows only caught perch,most being dinks. We also caught about 6 herring on the jigs also.A lot of guys just jig with a line,no rod. She probably could rent a hut for half a day for about 30 bucks with a ride out and lines provided. Try calling Grump and Grumpy they do half day rentals and have openings most weekdays.

Well first off lots of people are driving there cars on the ice on nip,it has about 30inches of ice and very little snow.Right now best bet might be Callander Bay. Not very far to walk out either. Where I just got back from(today) South Shore was fairly slow but they have some great plowed roads out on the ice and would suspect they do also in Callander. As far as gear the walleyes we caught were all on small jigging spoons like a "walleye hawg or crippled herring" tipped with a shiner . Set lines with minnows only caught perch,most being dinks. We also caught about 6 herring on the jigs also.A lot of guys just jig with a line,no rod. She probably could rent a hut for half a day for about 30 bucks with a ride out and lines provided. Try calling Grump and Grumpy they do half day rentals and have openings most weekdays.

thankyou...I'll tell her about this...I just have a thing about driving on ice...especially sending my daughter out there