Taking a Trip to Harcourt

basketclam

Hey folks,

I'm heading to my buddies place in Harcourt (on Elephant Lake) this weekend. If I've done my research correctly, Elephant Lake isn't exactly an ice fishing Mecca. Since I'm pretty sure that I don't want to spend all weekend fishing without any success, has anybody got recommendations for nearby lakes in which I should try wetting a line?

I'm not picky on species. I'm happy catching anything from lakers and brookies to perch and crappie. Just looking for something that will (or at least SHOULD) come in decent numbers, with relatively easy access to the lake.

I don't want to know your honey holes, just a lake name. I can put in the leg work from there.

And a reminder (as if anyone needs one) - it's starting to warm up out there. Be safe.

I haven't been up there in years, and even then it was summer fishing. But you might want to try Bapiste, which is supposed to have lakers, and walleye, as well as panfish. There are tons of small lakes in the area that you can wet a line in, just keep an eye out for them on your way up. A lot of them hug the highways leading up to Elephant lake.

i would highly recommend checking the regs about baptiste ice fishing. if not banned altogether, i wouldn't be surprised if there were restrictions on lakers as they seem to be having a tough time in there.

check your private messages, basketclam. i sent you a few ideas

You can also try glamour lake in goodheram....

Probably a good choice... guess you'd have to access it from the North End or East side as there's no public access on the West side (considering that my uncle owns inlet to outlet dam on that side).

i would highly recommend checking the regs about baptiste ice fishing. if not banned altogether, i wouldn't be surprised if there were restrictions on lakers as they seem to be having a tough time in there.

check your private messages, basketclam. i sent you a few ideas

Good point, I haven't checked the 2010 regs but Lake Trout have always been closed for winter on Baptiste. There are walleye and pike in Baptiste (and Elephant too). Walleye are not plentiful in either.

I haven't tried Diamond Lake myself but it is stocked with lake trout.

Edited by JohnBacon

You can also try eagle lake its a ways out of the way, but you will catch monster lakers and white fish. A friend of mine has a hut there and i have had a couple line breakers. also try Bluehawk its on the highway from haliburton to gooderham.

We fish it for pickerel and have been pulling 4-7lbs pickerel out of there, and the bite is always on at 5-7pm.

I was out on bluehawk on sunday and saw a 44inch musky come through the ice there.

Well, thanks for the tips folks.

Between the three of us, we caught 6 pike in 3 hours right on Elephant on Friday afternoon. Two nice ones getting close to 30 inches, and some smaller ones. Since it looked good, I didn't really take anyone's advice regarding other lakes, and headed back out to Elephant on Saturday. And, of course, caught nothing else.

Was a beautiful, sunny weekend, that's for sure.