Night vision goggles or infrared camera needed

bigfish1965

I am still doing the coyote research and would love to borrow/rent something that would allo me to see some distance in the dark. In order to get accurate pack counts this seems to be the only way. Buying it is not yet in the budget, so anyone who can help, please PM me. I will be the only one using the equipment and take full responsibilty for it.

Thanks much :)

I had an Sony Hi8 movie camera that had a 20 X zoom and an infrared setting, never tried the infrared at any distance but close it gave those weird colored nightime shots that you see on Survivor on their nightime shoots. Decent zoom but no image stabilzation so a tripod is advisable, they should be kicking around for a song now, might work for you.

EDIT: some of the trail cams have a infrared setup, with deer season over maybe one of the hunter could do with theirs for a while.

Edited by dave524

Rick,

Not sure what kind of distance you're looking for or expecting, but I think you'll be dissappointed with the performance of most units. Any gen 1 unit won't meet your needs and mid-range gen 3 is even touch and go depending on ambient light. I use ATN PVS 14s ($4000 list), which are decent out to about 100 yards in good light. The units used by Canada's griffin helicopter pilots will give you the range your looking for, but at the cost of a small car.

I think you'd be better off getting your hands on a quality set of binos with good light-gathering ability. Even in the middle of the night, its amazing what they will do with a little moon or star light.