Smelting with my leetle friend

bigugli

I had long promised a smelting adventure for icefisherman and his son Jordan. Today was the day. Beautiful weather and temps made for a perfect day. Co-operation from the fish also helped.

The show stealer was Jordan. What a joy to have with me on the ice. Emil was also having a great time, but he was playing second string to the wee lad.

Here is Jordan working on his stringer.

DSCN2948-1.jpg

Enjoying a break from the action.

DSCN2950-1-1.jpg

DSCN2949-1.jpg

Jordan's bounty. Notice the look of concentration :lol:

DSCN2952-1.jpg

I am so glad the day worked out. The sausage was great. Well done Emil. Your little boychuk is welcome around my corner any time. Watching his excitement was more fun than catching fish.

Hey Bruce,

simply THANK YOU my friend!

Jordan has been talking about the day to his mom all evening :D

How did we nail this beauty of a day I have no idea...especially after the exact opposite day we've had last year.

Over 450 smelts...just finished cleaning them...with one break for dinner when we eat about 50 of them.

To the rest of the forum...guys...Bruce is one heck of a nice guy....he gave up his hut for the day so Jordan (and I) can have the experience of Jordan's life time....easier to see/catch them by far....Bruce was sitting outside laughing with each caught or missed smelt Jordan was commenting on....in the last 1/2 of the day Jordan was in his best catching 4 to my 2 smelts per minute B)

Had no idea when the time passed....Anyhow...as I said before Bruce....name the time and date ....leave the rest to me....Simcoe./...Lake Ontario or Lake Erie...on the ice or in my boat...I can promise you lots of fun for sure...

Now to relax my back as it is hurting a lot....bending over the hole for 6 hours than cleaning smelt for 2 more...I am done....need few days rest for sure....what a day....

Here are few shots from home to compliment the great photos Bruce took today on the ice:

IMG_1013.jpg

IMG_1012.jpg

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

As an afterthought, My day out with Emil and Jordan reminded me of a few things.

Of years past when other adults took the time and patience to see that I had great adventures. My hooks were baited, fish taken off, and cleaned, in an endless procession without a grumble. I didn't have a dad but Gram, Grampa and my uncles more than made up for that. Taksu maku.

Even though I enjoy fishing, I enjoy the company of others to share the experience.

More importantly, watching kids having the time of their lives fishing is way more fun than catching a mountain of fish.

To Jordan. Thank you for putting a smile on a tired old face , and some much needed happiness in my heart.

Edited by bigugli

Hey, great stuff --- especially getting the youngster out.

I'm trying to find a spot for smelts on Nipissing. My grand-daughter would love this!

When I'm out, I keep a smelt line down just in case, but no success so far.

As an afterthought, My day out with Emil and Jordan reminded me of a few things.

Of years past when other adults took the time and patience to see that I had great adventures. My hooks were baited, fish taken off in an endless procession.

Even though I enjoy fishing, I enjoy the company of others to share the experience.

More importantly, watching kids having the time of their lives fishing is way more fun than catching a mountain of fish.

To Jordan. Thank you for putting a smile on a tired old face , and some much needed happiness in my heart.

warm hearts are worth more then any bounty of fish...concentrated smiles are priceless

Good on yall involved :clapping: