XH Musky rod

Syn

Definately not too heavy. If you want to throw big baits, you need a rod like this. Big double 10's and 13's, big bulldogs, big jakes and believers. It makes casting them easier, way easier. And I would not go less than 80lb braid. I mean technically speaking 40 or 50 lb is strong enough. When you start throwing big baits that are 6, 7, 8, 10,12 ounces and you backlash on a cast... well good bye lure. I have lost lures casting even with 100lb braid. 100 seems just too stiff though and 65 too thin, i really recommend 80. If you don't plan on tossing big baits though the XH will be overkill. Also would be great for trolling big baits. These newer longer rods are much more flexible than you think, the old 5-6' rods taht were the norm 20+ years ago are the stiff broomsticks you want to stay away from.

Edited by MuskyGreenHorn

Yeah I'm going to be chucking #7 and #10 double Colorado inline spinners, Bulldog type plastics up to 5oz. ALso would be trolling with those. btw thanks for answering so quickly. I might just upgrade to 80lb and beyond since the Flouro leaders I use are 80-130lb anyhow. I'll check the power pro this spring, tempted to try the berkley fireline braid with 8 threads vs power pro 4.

keep in mind that an st. croix xh is a different animal than an okuma xh. not only in weight rating but also in action. for throwing those big blade baits people tend to like a rod with a really fast action so that there is little flex doing figure 8s boatside as an example.

Good point raf. i just Picked up a 8"6' XXH Okuma. If it where a st. croix it may only be a XH, just. The same goes for shimano compre musky rods. i had the chance to use an 8' last season rated H, felt like it could have been an XH. Most musky rods do have fast action though no? Please feel free to correct me and discuss the power ratings of the various manufactures.

Edited by MuskyGreenHorn

I find the Okumas & Compres to be "lighter" than St. Croix as well.

The action on Okumas is also "slower".

You are right, most are rated for a fast action but just how fast it is varies by manufacturer. There are however, some rods rated for a slower action. St. Croix's 7'2" (marketed as a crankbait rod) comes to mind as well as their trolling rod.

The rod action between companies for the same action probably varies due to what material is used. IM7, IM8, Glass, etc.

If I find that the rod action is too heavy, well then, I'm going to have to catch larger fish. :D

Everyone's action is different. H for one company might feel like an XH with another company and a MH with yet another company. It all depends on what you want to do with the rod. 8'6" XH should be good for tossing BullDawgs, big double Cowgirls, Believers, etc... Doing your Figure 8 at boatside is easy too and you can get the rod right into the water. You'll like the rod as long as you pair it with a good reel. Whatever you do, don't cheap out on a muskie reel, cheap reels will break at the most inopportune of times. BassPro has the Pete Maina reels which are pretty decent especially for the price now I think they are on for 69.99.