spring fishing show

trevy727

The internet has probably had a lot to do with changing the role of these shows. Also the emergence of the outdoorsy supermarkets like Basspro and Cabelas. The shows are probably best seen now as a source of entertainment, a few hours immersed in all things fishy, meeting friends new and old, seeing the tv celebs in the flesh, checking out some of the new boats and motors, perhaps seeing some of the latest innovations that are coming on the scene. No longer are they likely to be a bargain mart for lures, rods and reels. Oh, there may be the odd good deal that didn't already get internet exposure, but for the most part the shows will be more about a winter's day of fishy fantasizing.

JF

I took my brother with my free ticket, he is new to the sport in that its taken about 27 years for him to start to develop a passion for it. We didn't buy much, looked at some outiftters and lodges for a future trip one day. Best thing was I subscribed to a fly fishing magazine canada, I am a sucker for almost any magazine subscription but hopefully it will inspire me to get out fly fishing more often.

I guess the only disappointment was no April Vokey at the Fly Fishing Magazine booth :P not that she was expected to be at the show, but a guy can hope.

I agree with what some people are saying, you get out of it what you want. The seminars are great, I saw Linder and Maina, both great guys and tehy gave away a ton of nice stuff. I think the show is great for teh kiddies. I see a lot fo peole just walking around dazed. They do a lap of the place and then go, now what?

Sure the net is a great place to find deals and pretty much see everything at the show right in your home and at your finger tips, but... The show give syou the opportunity to stop and chat with teh people behind what you see on the net. I love talking to lodge owners and tackle reps. One that note, I am dissapointed that there are less tackle companies then there used to be and less lure makers and rod builders and such. I mean no shimano, no abu garcia, no hummingbird, etc etc. In the states all the manufactures have displays at the shows and guys who make lires in their basements and custom rods.

I know why they aren't here. $$$ The show charges insane amounts for floor space. I used to go and talk to a shimano rep and then go talk to abu. It was great to be able to have them trying to win me over.

There are deals to be had at the show and they used to be better becuase their were more retailers there and they had to compete more.

I guess we don't all see these shows the same way.

I think we're all pretty well equipped to save a few bucks buying our favourite gear either online or finding a retailer close to home who can give you a deal. Exhibitors/vendors, need to take stock out of inventory, cart it to the venue, pay for the displays, the square footage they're using up and hire help for the show. Cutting their prices is not going to help them much. I don't know where folks get the idea that the shows is where you get good deals. It's never been that way. I can't figure someone paying $14 to get into a show, not to mention gas prices to get there and back to save $10 bucks on plastics....never could figure that out.

I drove down from the other side of Montreal for the one day. I knew there was no money to be saved at all but that wasn't my reason for making it to the show. I was there to meet old friends and see new faces as well. There were some excellent seminars. My sons and one of my grandaughters were there as well. So, I had a really good experience at the show and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

PLUS, I got to have a really nice chat or two with Joey...and a hug even. That's worth the trip right there!

I think that Roy pretty much nailed it. $14.00 for a days entertainment is pretty reasonable. If you want to save $5 or $10 on a few lures or some plastics, there is a multitude of on-line discount places. If you are looking for a high ticket item, boat, high end rod, reel, electronics there are deals to be had. As far as food and drink, it is really no different than most other places, hockey game, movies etc....

It sucked like a souped-up Hoover (okay, it wasn't that bad)

I went with a friend and a B-in-L. I actually would prefer to go on my own because I find I like to just poke around whereas if I am with people I worry if they are liking it etc. ('cause it's me that does the calling around every show to rally the troops).

I thought the best deal of the show was Fishing World's 3 for $10 lures. They had Hula Poppers and Jitterbugs in there! I mean Jacques couldn't make them for that money.

For those of you that use the shows to conduct business and re-connect with loved ones, you're welcome.

Jim

Hi Roy, there actually was a time when you could get real good deals at the fishing shows. It was also a place where you could purchase products that were not readily available at your local tackle shop.

To me it's not worth the effort, time, gas, admission, etc. to see overpriced fishing tackle, but that's just me.

I'm with you Roy,what do people expect?? How is the tackle over priced???? is it more expensive than your local guy??? No it's not and as far as deals they were everywhere if you looked.People need to realize it's a show not a GARAGE SALE!!,every dealer discounts some stuff but after they spend thousands before making a single sale to be there should they sell everything at cost????? I think the idea/benefit of having a show is as mentioned regarding boats,you see everthing under one roof,many people don't have huge shops near them and you can't order one of these and two of those from 10 different websites without paying a fortune in shipping.As Garnet said with free parking I'd call $14 pretty cheap.

I'm with you Roy,what do people expect?? How is the tackle over priced???? is it more expensive than your local guy??? No it's not and as far as deals they were everywhere if you looked.People need to realize it's a show not a GARAGE SALE!!,every dealer discounts some stuff but after they spend thousands before making a single sale to be there should they sell everything at cost????? I think the idea/benefit of having a show is as mentioned regarding boats,you see everthing under one roof,many people don't have huge shops near them and you can't order one of these and two of those from 10 different websites without paying a fortune in shipping.As Garnet said with free parking I'd call $14 pretty cheap.

You'll never see me complain about deals. I've never understood that mentality either. This coming from someone who buys what he wants whenever he wants LOL! (As long as my better half is in the dark I'm golden. :lol: ).

Seriously though these shows are nothing compared to the grand spectacle of the old Toronto Sportsmans show in the colliseum. That was worth attending.

Todays version is smaller and tawdrier by comparison.

If I'm working a show (which I have in the past many times), have a vested interest in attending, am purchasing a boat, am meeting friends or have a bizzarre desire to by hounded by hucksters hawking sausages and sunglasses, then yeah, sign me up. :lol: