Whitey Action

woodro

Just wondering if anyone has any tips to making whitefish hit when the action slows. What kind a tips do you use out there?

Ive been out a couple times to simcoe marking all kinds of fish but i cant get them to hit my bait. Im using all the right things,assuming, but i still cant get them to hit even though im marking them on the flasher

Maybe tell us what your doing and we can pick it apart. What are you using?

I always find a small hook and a splitshot with a small minnow does the trick on slow days. I set it under a slip float. Keep a real close eye on that flaot. The slightest movement is a whitie. They hit so light, you'd hardly know it was a fish. If it moves at all.....set that hook immediatley!!

All the whities Ive caught this season so far have come on that rig.

Other than that, a chartreuse/black badboy type jig, with a chartruese power tube on it has been working well too. Just a gentle twitch about an inch off bottom.

I have only been skunked one trip out of a half dozen so far....and it seems it was a slow day all around that day.

Sinker

I hear Williams Wobblers, Meegs, Simcoe Bug.

They say that a Williams Wobbler laid to rest on the bottom in aprox 75 feet then lifted just enough to barely get the hooks to come off the bottom is what was enticing the Whitefish to hit it. And... they were not tipping the spoon with any bait.

Here are some threads I found for you:

1. Have found that the bite on hardware has been slower then usual with minnows on light line getting more action. Currently getting Trout and Whitefish working different area's from 53' (on rock) to over 87' on a soft bottom. A nice chunky Laker nailed a #9 Jigging rap with 1/2 a minnow worked slowly bouncing off the bottom in 77 fow.

2. A Ling Cod (Burbot) was a huge surprize while working for Whitefish.... it hammered a Silver/Blk jigging Rap

3. A nice Whitefish also hit a Rap in the same area as the Ling

4. I'm having more success fishing Raps and Meegs then my favourite Williams.

thanks for the responses, ive been using bad boys in green and black tipped with chartruese, williams, and minnows. I think its just a case of really bad luck because today the group i was with limited out, we must of had over 20 fish.

everyone was catching all the way around me

That's not good. Are you doing the exact same things as them? What are they doing? Fishing has been slow on the west side of the lake. I was marking alot of smelt when i was out there. Only had a few bites.

bad karma? what did i ever do to mr.Whitey? all i do is love them ;)

Hey, don't feel bad man......this happens to the best of us.......last year I was skunked out there for a whole month.....no kidding......every weekend in Feb. last year I was out there fishing like a madman.......NOTHING!! Brutal.....but once I finally broke the curse, it was non stop action till it closed. Same spots, same presentations.......it just happens.....

Sinker

happens to everyone i know, but it sucks when its you! lol oh well im going to have to roll in tomato sauce to get this skunk smell out of my tackle box!! its only on simcoe though, im having success on every other lake ive been fishing

Sinker were you marking the same amount of fish when they were not hitting your bait as when you were catching them???

Nope.....only catch them when we mark them.....most times.....you get the odd one that sneaks thru the radar, but usually, if you mark them, you catch one.

Sinker