Windermere Lake

jaggersr

Looking at going to Happy Day Lodge on Windermere lake in early June. Usually get to the Chapleau area a few weeks through the year. Can anyone tell me about the fishing or this camp on Windermere. My wife will be going and we will be bringing our own boat. Thanks in advacne for any info.

ive fished the area but have not actually fished windermere itself. its a great fishing area and im sure you wont be disappointed and its an amazing drive around that area to.

i have a book that gives a description of winderwere it says "sandwiched between the northern boundary of the shoals provinical park and the rail line to the north is windermere lake. this large lake is good for walleye, northern pike, smallmouth bass and lake trout fishing. Canoeists should note the name of this one.

i hope this helps any. you usually cant go wrong around there.

I'd check with the camp owner, Bob Zimmerman. He'll tell you what to expect. You may have a tough time finding an open date to fit your schedule. They stay booked at almost 100%.

I haven't fished the lake, but am acquainted with a member of the owner's family. I wouldn't hesitate to fish the lake.

Thanks guys for the replies. I kind of thought we may have trouble getting a cabin. I have a truck camper and they offer camp sites as well if we need to. Wormdangler, I'm from Indiana but my best friend lives in the Soo and has a camp on 129. I've fished the area every year for the past 20 with him. Had an extra week of vacation this year so thought I would take the wife someplace new. He has never fished Windermere but looked like a good place to take the wife. Used to spend a lot of time on Wennebegon until they limited motorized access. Again, thank you for the replies.

Doesn't have to be a resort for me. I've spent a week more than once in a tent on an Island. This trip my wife is going. She doesn't have to have a cabin as we have a truck camper. Her one condition is she has to have a shower. Either at a camp ground or I have to set up a portable. Thanks for the offer. I will take you up on it.

I fish Windermere almost every summer. Lots of pike, lots of pickeral, lots of smallmouth, never even tried for lakers.

We camp at the provincial park sites on the lake, so I don't know about the lodge, but it's a great lake, you'll love it.

I fish Windermere almost every summer. Lots of pike, lots of pickeral, lots of smallmouth, never even tried for lakers.

We camp at the provincial park sites on the lake, so I don't know about the lodge, but it's a great lake, you'll love it.

Okay now that's interesting because there is no provincial park on Windermere. :lol:

I thought it was adjacent to but not part of the Chepleau game preserve.. Maybe it's inside the preserve? :dunno:

It goes without saying that crown land is free to camp on but I'd be interested in knowing if there are actually "marked" sites on Windermere.

And if so why.

I'm not sure about Windermere but I do know there are sites on Prairie Bee just to the south. I have seen them marked on islands around the lake. I am actually headed to Prairie Bee in early June, have not fished it in 11 years so I do not know what to expect, time will tell.

Okay now that's interesting because there is no provincial park on Windermere. :lol:

I thought it was adjacent to but not part of the Chepleau game preserve.. Maybe it's inside the preserve? :dunno:

It goes without saying that crown land is free to camp on but I'd be interested in knowing if there are actually "marked" sites on Windermere.

And if so why.

A large section of the shoreline of Winderemere is actually a part of The Shoals Provincial Park. There are canoe (or boat) in camp sites on Windermere between the portage from Lower Prarie Bee to the inlet to the Grazing River, they are part of The Shoals Provincial Park "North Canoe Loop." They are marked and maintained by park staff and you can't camp on them unless you pay the Provincial Park backcountry camping fee.

There is lots of crown land camping on the lake as well, but we usualy do part or all of the canoe loop which goes in from Prarie Bee Lake, through to Lower Prarie Bee and then into Windermere and out through the Grazing River and into Little Wawa Lake, again, if you leave your vehicle at the launch on Prarie Bee, you have to pay the Provincial Park backcountry camping fee.

No matter how you access it, it's a beautiful lake with lots of fish, that why I keep going back.

The last time I fished it was in the 80's when a man named John Cameron was the owner. It is a great lake. About 29 miles from the camp to the far end of the lake with lots of bays and islands to fish. Como Creek was the hot spot near (2 or 3 miles) the camp for pike and walleye as well as Grassie Falls. There are a couple of small lakes that you can get into if the water is down low enough to get undr the RR tressle as well as a portage into another. Make sure you take a GPS to mark your trail, very easy to get lost coming back to camp in the dark.

The farther end of the lake widens out and is quite deep and holds lake trout as well as walleye and pike and whitefish. There also was an outpost cabin here with propane fridge and stove.

Good luck if you go and please let us know how you made out. I would be interested to hear if it is still a great fishery.

Tom.

A large section of the shoreline of Winderemere is actually a part of The Shoals Provincial Park. There are canoe (or boat) in camp sites on Windermere between the portage from Lower Prarie Bee to the inlet to the Grazing River, they are part of The Shoals Provincial Park "North Canoe Loop." They are marked and maintained by park staff and you can't camp on them unless you pay the Provincial Park backcountry camping fee.

There is lots of crown land camping on the lake as well, but we usualy do part or all of the canoe loop which goes in from Prarie Bee Lake, through to Lower Prarie Bee and then into Windermere and out through the Grazing River and into Little Wawa Lake, again, if you leave your vehicle at the launch on Prarie Bee, you have to pay the Provincial Park backcountry camping fee.

No matter how you access it, it's a beautiful lake with lots of fish, that why I keep going back.

Thanks for the reply. I had no idea Windermere was a part of the Shoals...

Thanks guy's

I just booked our week for June 5th tonight. Sounds like they have alot of repeat clients, as there are very few opennings. Wife and I are looking forward to a week of Walleye, Pike and Smallmouth fishing. The Zimmermans sound like honest hardworking campowners. If it's what I'm expecting I will probably return in late August as well. I will post a report later in the summer. Thanks again for your replies.

Worm Dangler,

I was thinking that as well. My best freind lives in the Soo and has several camps north of Aubrey off 129. I have fished with him for spec's but never for lakers. He has been trying to talk me into flying with them to some good Lake Trout lakes. Never seems to be enough time. This week in June is more for the wife so comfort is the key. I get a fifth week of holidays next year so maybe then.

Over the years i have fished St Joseph Island, Wakami, Muskuti, Aubrey, Five Mile Lake, Wennebegon, Burntwood and dozens of no name lakes. I would bet we have cast into some of the same waters over the years.

Jaggersr, we will see you there. We just booked last night for the week of June 5th as well. There will 6 of us in the group and none of us have fished that lake before so it will be interesting.

Smitter, thanks again for your help.

Hello Krisco, you guys must have got their last cabin. Nothiing more exciting than fishing a new lake for the first time. I really like the fact that Windermere is multi species. So many lakes I fish are just Walleye and Pike. The Zimmermans sound like hardworking camp owners that really go the extra mile. Not sure what boat I am taking yet. I have a 18 ft Tracker Targa and a 14ft smoker craft tiller. I would like my 115hp to get up the lake quicker, but not knowing the lake I'm leaning more towards my smaller boat. we will see you there.

I have stayed at Happy Day and fished the lake pretty hard. You won't be disappointed with the resort, people, or the fishing. Bring the big boat because the lake is big----and rumour has it there is some good fishing at the other end!! :thumbsup_anim:

Make sure your beer supply is stocked because it's a good distance to the beer store. Check over your boat trailer as well because the dirt road going in is a good trek..

• 7 years later...