Portable fish finder question

DMASSE

Hello

After fishing blind this ice season I decided to buy a portable

fish finder. My question is about the tranducer, does it have

to be under the ice line, or can it sit just under the water. If it has tobe under the ice how do u use

it. Do u make a stick that keeps it level or a sponge like what the vex uses.

Any help would be appreciated

Dave

I've always gone by the rule at or below the bottom of the ice. The other big thing would to attach (epoxy) a bubble level on the top of the transducer.

http://turntablebasics.com/images/level.jpg

This ensure when you set up the transducer the signal goes stright down and not off to the side. That way you get the strongest signal coming back to your transducer. I can tell now when mine is not set up right just by the signal and whether I'm picking up my jig or not.

What kind of portable fishfinder? I have a Hummingbird Matrix 17 that does all I need it to do on the ice ...I just made an aluminum T stick and attached the transducer to it with the normal screw down boat mount ....I just spread the tstick and drop in the hole then adjust the angle of the stick for the best signal return...it may not reach below the ice as the season gets on but as long as the hole is straight it works fine ...you may get a little surface clutter on the screen but after a while you will never notice it. You will not be able to use a float on a standard boat transducer as it will never sit flat in the hole ...Floats only work well with properly designed ice transducers.

Suds

I made a box for generously proportioned, the transducer has a suction cup attahced to the end of a piece of metal, box over hole and transducer down the hole, other end "suction cupped" to the box.

Hope that makes sense, a pic would be easier but I don't have one handy.