Toyota Recalling 2.3 Million Cars and Trucks

craigdritchie

Well if you can't use the windows or anything without the thing running.. maybe someone should look into announcing another National Safety recall on these things! Does it not have the ability to run accessories without starting the car?

I haven't found a way to do it. I imagine there is but I really haven't looked into it that much.

Well if you can't use the windows or anything without the thing running.. maybe someone should look into announcing another National Safety recall on these things! Does it not have the ability to run accessories without starting the car?

As I am only familiar with Chrysler products I can only speak of how their key works, they have actually moved the accessory position from the past locked position (where your steering wheel would become locked) to before. So from the run position you go to the accessory position then to lock which you can only do if you are in park. So all windows, door locks etc. would stay functional. In a stuck throttle position I would think on any car you should be able to turn the key off run and still maintain control of the car although the steering and brakes would be affected.

The pushbutton starter cars DO have a way to turn on only the accessories and they DO have ways to shut them off while driving. Some of them you push the start button 3 times some you push and hold them. Why wouldn't anybody who bought a car like this look into it before operating the car. First thing I'd do if i couldn't figure it out was RTM, there's lot's of good information in there ;)

ryan

I just can't wrap my head around the inability to turn the key to OFF! :wallbash:

LOL, it's 2010, there are no keys!

The family that died in California was in a rental Lexus that had a push button start, drive by wire throttle and fuzzy logic computerized transmission.

There are ways to turn off the new in vogue push button ignitions, but they are all a universally different sequence then the shutdown used when parking and not exactly intuitive in alot of cases. Hold the brake and push the button three times in 1 sec or hold brake and hold the button down for 3 sec, AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHGGGGG.

As a pilot you should be aware of some of the problems that can crop up when engineers try to designs machines smarter than the operators.

The pushbutton starter cars DO have a way to turn on only the accessories and they DO have ways to shut them off while driving. Some of them you push the start button 3 times some you push and hold them. Why wouldn't anybody who bought a car like this look into it before operating the car. First thing I'd do if i couldn't figure it out was RTM, there's lot's of good information in there ;)

ryan

You would be sitting in the dealership parking lot for a while ;)

With the ammount of accidents caused by this defect, % wise corporate bean counters determine that it will be cheaper for them to pay out lawsuits rather than issue a total recall.

This is not the last we will hear of this. I,m sure of it.

Much the aproach they took and are still takeing with there tailgate/rear end problems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx53MjiykiE