Fenwick Rods

scugpg

My first ever steelhead rod was a Fenwick (early 80's)...loved it!! Don't think they are near as good these days, but, like others have said, depends on personal preference. A lot of guys have put down Shimano rods, yet I have been using one for pier fishing (8 1/2 ft Sensilite) for over 20 years....caught numerous salmon up to 30 lbs....many bows...literally 100's of decent sized fish...never a problem with the guides or the rod!

Well this is just my opinion but I sell all of the rods mentioned so far and based on what I have read here's my take.For $100 the Fenwick hmx is one ofTHE best rods out there (All Star ASR's take #1 spot) and the Rapala R types are nice for the money as well.Rapala has a new rod called Shift that is an awsome stick (but more $'s).Compre's are nice but at a higher price point now so I give it to the Fenwick HMX.St. Croix's are nice,the best of the line up is the Avid/Legend.As far as highend Fenwick's,the elitetech rods are very sweet for the $'s.It comes down to whatever you like/spend though,these are just my opinions which won't pay for a java lol.

ive got 2 fenwick techna av's and a whole bunch of st. croix rods. i love my techna's. mine get the most use when fishing 30+feet of water jiggin for walleyes. i find them super sensitive and have really good backbone for deep water hooksets. i have fished mine pretty hard for 5 years and have not broken them yet! i have to say that i also love my croix avids and LE's.

Thanks for all the replies folks I really appreciate it.

As mentioned I'm looking at the elite-tech rods http://www.fenwickfishing.com/prod.php?k=3...20%281139445%29

Lots of strong opinions which is great...my preference is a Loomis or St. Croix, but may have a lead on some better pricing on Fenwicks.

I can't find weight specs on the Fenwick elites, but it sounds as if they are comparable to the Avids at least?