Gilford report

SBCregal

Some of you may have read my post asking some questions about being new to this whole ice fishing thing. Well today I made my first attempt with a trip out to Gilford. After an uneventful drive up and a quick stop for minnows I was out on the ice at the crack of noon :) Not really having any experience with this I set off towards where I saw other people setup, punching the first hole about 100yards from shore. Eventually I made my way out deeper and closer to where the other people seemed to be situated. It took a few hours of roaming around and punching holes but I finally ended up icing a fish shortly after 2:00, a dink perch roughly 8" in length certainly no trophy but my first fish through the ice! Unfortunately that would be the only one of the day as I had to pack up and head home right around 3 o'clock. Everyone I talked to out there said it was real slow with only 3-4 fish caught by most guys iI talked to.

Thanks to Fisherman, Ted&thegadget and johnnyb for helping me with the questions I had.

Oh yeah.... the ice was ~8" wherever I drilled... the snow on top wasn't quite slushy, but I imagine it'll be pretty wet there the next couple of days

ryan

hey it has to start with one fish

next time who knows how many

keep at it

LOL -- what he said!!

Way to go man...very glad that you got out!! If you were 100 yds out, I'm guessing you were in maybe 8-15 FOW at the most...next time head a little further ;) you never know...

I drilled the FIRST hole about 100 yards out and started to work my way deeper from there. I ended up at least 200 maybe 250 yards out and spending most of the time there. I figure I was in about 25-30ft of water most of the day, thats where the one fish I got came from.

I'll be keeping at it for sure, trying to figure out a way to get my depthfinder from my boat rigged up for portable use and I'll be heading out again soon (weather permitting). This time the girlfriend even wants to head out.

ryan

Awesome stuff!! Depthfinder rig up is easy...either make a t-bar out of wood, or if it hangs straight ('cuz not all of us do :whistling:), just get some foam (nerf ball, pool noodle, pipe insulation, etc.), slice it to the middle, bury the cable in so it's centered, and wrap it up nice with tape.