Terry offers tips for a successful ice-fishing expedition

Spiel

Terry offers tips for a successful ice-fishing expedition

January 8, 2010

TERRY CURTIS / www.northumberlandtoday.com

It's that time of year again when ice fishing fanatics head out in search of their favourite species of fish, and no doubt about it, I'm one of them. Big time!

Although the ice fishing season was already open in many areas such as the Bay of Quinte and on some of the lakes farther north in the Bancroft/Apsley districts, the Kawartha Lakes (Zone 17) didn't open until Jan. 1 of this year for the first-ever legal ice fishing season on these waters.

So far, the ice is forming quite well across much of the province and anglers at Trenton and Belleville have been dipping lines or a few weeks now, with spotty results for both walleye and perch. And speaking of spotty, watch the ice there. It varies greatly in depth, depending where you are fishing. This seems to be the case right now on a lot of our usual haunts, especially in the Muskoka and Bancroft areas where heavy snowfalls have hindered the formation of safe ice.

As usual, at this time of year,Terry's Tipsis offering up a few favourite ice hut rental locations I tend to depend on, including a couple of brand new ones this time around, as well as the latest ice condition information I have for those chosen places.

What would a lake trout outing be without a trip to Carnarvon, north of Minden, to visit Don Archer? Don doesn't advertise his huts much. He doesn't have to. Most of his clients are repeat business and have been going there for years, which speaks well for his business.

Some of the easiest access lake trout and whitefish ice angling you will ever experience takes place right there on Boshkung Lake and I've been going there since 1980. This is a real favourite lake for me. I spoke to Don earlier this week and he hopes to have safe ice this weekend to put his huts out. Give him a call at 705-489-2846 to book a hut.

I also spoke with Carl D'Amour, owner of Grump and Grumpy's Ice Fishing Adventures on Lake Nippissing at North Bay, and they have lots of safe ice in their area. I wrote about this operation in my column last year and it's absolutely the very best jumbo perch fishing I've ever experienced in my life, not to mention the blue back herring, pike and white fish all caught in the same huts, as well as the odd walleye.

Carl offers overnight bungalows ($60 per person) where you can fish all day and night in very warm accommodations right on the ice, and they are spotlessly clean and comfortable. I can't wait to return. I plan on being there next week, in fact! Contact Carl at 705-495-0941, 705-495-3106 or www.grumpyfishermen.com

For those wanting some walleye and crappie fishing close to home, don't overlook Stiles Fish Huts on Lake Scugog. They offer two-, four-and six-man huts ($35 per person, kids are free), propane heat and minnows are available. Scugog is a real hotspot for huge crappie and they are very eager biters, especially just before dusk. Contact Steve Stiles at 905-925-9742 or at [email protected] .

Even closer to home, B.J. Tackle in Bewdley on Rice Lake is offering rental huts for panfish such as perch, crappie and bluegill. They have two man huts for $50 a day as well as four-, five-and six-man huts that rent for $30 per person. Ben is well stocked with pinhead minnows you'll need for panfish as well as bigger minnows for those wanting to travel elsewhere to fish where walleye, trout fishing etc. is permitted. As well as the minnows, B.J. Tackle has any other gear you can imagine for ice fishing on hand, such as portable huts, rods, reels, Suffix line, hooks, jigs -- you name it, it's there!

For more information call Ben or Beth at 905-797-2632. Business hours are 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.

There you go, a few favourite places I recommend for some great ice fishing.

Please keep in mind there is NO ice fishing for walleye, bass or muskie in Zone 17 which includes all the Kawartha Lakes.

From what I hear from some well knowing people who will be patrolling the waters, the Proceeds of Crime laws will be heavily enforced, meaning you could lose your ice fishing gear, your mode of transportation to get to the fish (ATV, snowmobile, Argo, car or truck) plus heavy fines if you are caught with an illegal fish.

Is it worth the chance? Not for me!

Good luck fishing wherever you go. Have fun and fish safe!