Ice fishing noob

SBCregal

Hey all,

With all the icefishing posts that have been posted on the board I figured I should try it out this year. I purchased some gear... an auger, couple of rods, couple of tipups, small jigheads and tubes, a couple of jigging raps and some williams spoons. I am thinking of heading out to Gilford tomorrow and trying my hand at this whole icefishing thing, I'd like to target perch. With the temperatures the way they have been today and are forecasted to be tomorrow, will it still be safe out there? I don't have any form of flotation suit but I did grab some of those ice spikes, hopefully I won't need them.

I guess my questions are:

1. Will the temps cause the ice to melt to the point of being unsafe

2. Is there plenty of parking/access down there?

3. I have no idea where to even begin... just look for the pack and start from there?

Please help out a noob!!!

ryan

That's a pretty big "ice cube" out there right now, it could be this warm for the next two weeks and I wouldn't worry about the thickness, maybe a bit right on shore where the cars and trucks dump their salty slushballs on the ice, but good to go for the rest. When you go to Gilford, #89 east, you come to the big stop sign at the bottom of the long hill, (Gas Stn on left corner), turn right, go about 250 meters and then turn left, Gilford Rd. Keep going, cross the GO Train tracks, keep going, you'll see the line up of parked cars on the right side of the road, DON'T park on the left, DON'T block any driveways or park within 30 feet of any stop sign or other intersection, pay particular attention to NO PARKING signs, if you don't..$30 and maybe a tow. Walk down to the end of the road, turn a bit to the right, you'll see some blue and some green huts, go that way, about a 10 minute walk. If you want minnows, see Innisfil Bait & Tackle at the corner of #89 and Cty Rd 4, top of the hill on the right corner. Poke holes, apply minnow to small #6 or #8 hook, small splitshot about 1 foot up, send to within 6 inches of the bottom. Go fish, good luck. :Gonefishing:

Great info for you in those two posts, Dunner...you will definitely get into some perch simply by following the above advice. And Keith, at the baitshop mentioned above, will also give you some very good advice.

Good luck!

Excactly, follow fishermans advice and you will be in good shape. Don't be afraid to move around a bit, sometime a guy within 20 ft is catching are your not, find some green weeds. I sometimes a line my self with the rental huts. Don't forget a flask to take the chill out. Enjoy, ice fishing is blast!!