THE COUNT DOWN!

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

I was laying in bed last evening and I swore I could hear a sound. It started as a barely audible whoosh. As I tossed and turned the volume slowly grew until I was hearing a much louder, but distinctly "aquatic" sounding swoosh as though I were underwater. It wasn't until I closed my eyes that I saw just what was keeping me awake...it was the tails of 40 brook trout!

I envisioned a brisk walk in the dark, headlamps and multiple GPS in tow. Two hours and a near exhausting incline and we arrive on the lake. Our early morning sweat quickly turns to wind chilled "frostnibble" as we quickly remove a wet layer and put on our winter coats. Moments later our barbless hooks are set and presentations in the water.

The action is fast and furious. In the initial rush fish are caught minutes apart. While none of them are trophies, each man ends up with two 12" fish for the table after a lot of early morning fish. Thankfully our pinched barbs ensure most of the fish go back relatively unscathed.

In the afternoon the sun comes out, and while fishing slows a little, perseverance and varying our presentations ensures continued success through out the day including several 4-5 lb fish and a few broken lines... and the inevitable broken heart : (

We hike out exhausted but elated with the experience. Arriving at the automobile we ditch a layer of clothes and prepare for the long drive home.

I awaken as my friend slams the trunk of his SUV, still in my bed, Christmas Day. While a dream of fishing certainly stokes the fire, it also left me with a sense of longing that can only be satisfied by a successful Salvelinus opener!

Have a safe hardwater season!