New to Lake Nipissing/North Bay

Arty

Moved to North Bay in the Fall and very excited for the up coming Ice Fishing season, but where should I begin is my question?

Lake Nippising is alot bigger than what I'm use to.

I hear Callander Bay is a spot to try.

I also have a portable hut (thanks to duckdog) and indeed I walk out to my spots. I like the exercise.

Where could I park and launch? Family is also coming up in January for some fishing and I don't want to let them down.

I am not looking for your "hot spots", though I have never kept mine hidden. Just some help to get started.

Love this forum and look forward to any help.

Thanks

Welcome Arty, There are plenty of accessable spots within walking distance of shore. The South Shore is generaly the "hotspot" for most of the winter. All kinds of underwater humps and reefs. You can park on the ice off Waltonian dr. PM me for more specific directions

Off the beach in Callander, you can park and walk out. Pretty decent action at Opener. You'll see people out there.

Deep water point is a bit of a drive but that's where I had the best action when I lived in North Bay for a winter. There is a small access road beside one of the camps that goes out on the ice. Once you're out there, there will be no question where the 'hot-spot' is. Huts galore!! 30' with a 1/8oz glow jig tipped with a minnow was my confidence bait. Don't forget your measuring device.... half of the walleye will be protected by the slot.

Welcome to the territory Arty. :D

Ben asked me the same question a couple years ago when he passed through.

The guys have given you some good advise so far.

I fish the other side of the Nipissing pond but rarely in the winter.

Only when a few rowdys drag me out for a weekend. :D

Edited by Bernie

Off the beach in Callander, you can park and walk out. Pretty decent action at Opener. You'll see people out there.

Deep water point is a bit of a drive but that's where I had the best action when I lived in North Bay for a winter. There is a small access road beside one of the camps that goes out on the ice. Once you're out there, there will be no question where the 'hot-spot' is. Huts galore!! 30' with a 1/8oz glow jig tipped with a minnow was my confidence bait. Don't forget your measuring device.... half of the walleye will be protected by the slot.

more like 90% not 50% Ben and that access is private property and has had some issues the past 2 years.