cured eggs

Hellfish

Just a quick one for you steelheaders out here

I followed the recipe for cured eggs on www.gettinghooked.net and followed the directions there, adding iodized salt to a container with eggs and water already, adding the salt and stirring softly with your hand, and also adding a tbsp of brown sugar. I let the brine and the eggs sit for maybe 10hrs and strained for 35 mins using a strainer and no water then added the eggs to a air tight container. the thing is ive never cured eggs before always use them fresh or fresh/frozen never cured them

So my question is what is the texture of eggs suppose to be like? , they turned a beautiful orange gold colour just like when they came from the fish but the texture is pretty much the same as fresh eggs but it takes more to squeeze them and the juice comes out of a pinhole.. I thought they would be more like rubber and more durable not that im complaining just trying to make sure I added enough salt to the brine.

when i do the method you stated i air dry them down spread out on paper for a few hours... this thickens the eggs membrane ...some shrivel up but once they are hydrated again they bounce right back...this will give you a more bouncable product

when i do the method you stated i air dry them down spread out on paper for a few hours... this thickens the eggs membrane ...some shrivel up but once they are hydrated again they bounce right back...this will give you a more bouncable product

.Ahhh I see, so you pretty much do the same then just air dry on paper towel or something? Ill try that with the batch in the brine tonight, thanx for the idea!

The roe I bum off my friends is cured pretty much the same way except they use sea salt instead of table salt – Soaked in salt brine for about 8-10hrs. They turn quite rubbery and will bounce if you drop them on the floor.LOL Takes a lot of pressure to break one by squeezing but there is still gooey goodness within.

I rarely use fresh roe myself as whatever I get from my friends or from the tackle shop is cured that way. To put things into perspective with that particular cure, in terms of roe bag milking, I probably can get an hour worth of fishing the same bag before the eggs actually start to change colour (pretty insane eh compared to most other cures or fresh eggs). Is it still effective? You bet…I still do quite well in froggy water with my indestructible roe bags B) …I often forget my roe container in my wading jacket pocket for 1-2 weeks without refrigeration and just use them as is...The roe doesn’t really go bad and the stinky roe is what I use at night (it’s not stinky as in bad smelling…Just slightly more fishy smelling).

The roe I bum off my friends is cured pretty much the same way except they use sea salt instead of table salt – Soaked in salt brine for about 8-10hrs. They turn quite rubbery and will bounce if you drop them on the floor.LOL Takes a lot of pressure to break one by squeezing but there is still gooey goodness within.

I rarely use fresh roe myself as whatever I get from my friends or from the tackle shop is cured that way. To put things into perspective with that particular cure, in terms of roe bag milking, I probably can get an hour worth of fishing the same bag before the eggs actually start to change colour (pretty insane eh compared to most other cures or fresh eggs). Is it still effective? You bet…I still do quite well in froggy water with my indestructible roe bags B) …I often forget my roe container in my wading jacket pocket for 1-2 weeks without refrigeration and just use them as is...The roe doesn’t really go bad and the stinky roe is what I use at night (it’s not stinky as in bad smelling…Just slightly more fishy smelling).

Nice MJL, good to hear I will try bouncing them see if they bounce and to see if I used enough salt. For some reason I think I did not use enough salt, they still were kinda soft not really soft kinda between fresh and rubbery. Where i fish the current is too strong ( Niagara River) so i really dont think smell is too much of a factor there.. how long does this cure last for w/o having to freeze it?

Nice MJL, good to hear I will try bouncing them see if they bounce and to see if I used enough salt. For some reason I think I did not use enough salt, they still were kinda soft not really soft kinda between fresh and rubbery. Where i fish the current is too strong ( Niagara River) so i really dont think smell is too much of a factor there.. how long does this cure last for w/o having to freeze it?

In terms of making a brine, I’ve always been told to put enough salt into the water until you can’t see it dissolving anymore – My friends bring the water up to a boil and dissolve the salt into it to make sure it’s been saturated (They do let it cool down in the fridge though before dumping the eggs in) – Probably unnecessary to boil but that’s what they do.

Everyone has their own way of curing eggs and their own preference to what the ideal cured egg should feel and look like. I met one guy this fall who only uses roe from fish caught in that particular river using one out of a dozen curing methods dependent on a water temperature range at which the river will be at the day he fishes it :rolleyes:. I think 8-10hrs in a brine bath is probably the longest I’ve heard people soaking eggs for…I remember someone telling me they only do it for no more than 10mins. With my eggs, I’ve kept them in the fridge from April through to mid-October (forgot to freeze them) and they still smelled and looked like they did when I first got them.

THE SOFTER THE EGG IS THE MORE IT WILL MILK. HARDER EGGS HAVE LESS SMELL. HARDER EGGS ARE GREAT FOR FAST WATER BUT SLOW MOVING WATER THE MORE YOUR EGGS MILK OFF THE BETTER. BEST EGGS FOR SLOWER MOVING WATER ARE EGGS REMOVED FROM THE SKEIN AND CURED AND LOOSE EGGS CURED FOR FAST MOVING WATER

JUST MY 2 CENTS ON THIS TOPIC

Edited by fishhunter

THE SOFTER THE EGG IS THE MORE IT WILL MILK. HARDER EGGS HAVE LESS SMELL. HARDER EGGS ARE GREAT FOR FAST WATER BUT SLOW MOVING WATER THE MORE YOUR EGGS MILK OFF THE BETTER. BEST EGGS FOR SLOWER MOVING WATER ARE EGGS REMOVED FROM THE SKEEN AND CURED AND LOOSE EGGS CURED FOR FAST MOVING WATER

JUST MY 2 CENTS ON THIS TOPIC

I would half to agree with that, but keep the eggs on the skein and float the skein salmonoids and trout eat it up like crack

What aboot food coloring?? Anyone use that?? I would think the food coloring would leach into the water and have a reverse effect. But some places say use that or borax or procure, I would think the less the chems and added crap the better. Just trying to get a consensus here of what everyone does. I like to make little books of info for tying knots, flies, cures, presentations anything too do with fishing pretty much and make a "fishing" time capsule for my children and down the genetic line. Thinking back I would have loved to seen what my great grandfather or even grandfather was doi back in the 20s and 30s. So if I ask a lot of questions its for a reason :)