Floating for steelhead using a spinning reel

heri0n

I think people lose more fish due to the fact that they have to manipulate the drag themselves on a pin..

I just get lazy and flick the drag on :)

Lol,..I dunno man,..I fish some pretty woody areas and when you have to lock down in a millisecond to prevent a fish from burying itself in the logs I cant imagine a faster way to do then simply tightening your finger,...When I used a spinning reel for several years,...I used to adjust the drag mid-fight and this was effective, but more of a pain in the butt,...with a pin its just finger pressure.

I had a hard fighting fresh scapper on last Monday and this fish faught like it was 10+lbs and it just would stop goin to where he wanted to go which happened to be around a corner of some rocks all i could do was lock it down real quick and eventually turn him. I think the spinner woulda lost that fish.

Hey 'Champ' you watched that fight, I was standing on the Blocks and my Fish came into your space and almost disappeared around the corner...Didnt it remind you of a fresh August Nook ? thats what it felt like with the shoulders on that puppy.

There's been some great points already made.

Myself I use a centerpin not because it's more effective, but because I enjoy it.

A spinning reel in the hands of someone who knows how to manipulate it properly is just as effective.

It's also got the edge when it comes to versatility.