Jack Rabbits/European Hares

T Fisher

Jacks Rabbits used to be pentyful in the 60's & 70's it was great fun walking the fence rows with Dad and Rex our Beagle. Dad's still hunting @ 75 and can't walk like he use to walking all day is out of the question. Now you could walk for days and you'd be lucky to see one. Anyone know what happened?

i must have seen 5 or 6 of them tonight along with 3 deer in north bay city limits on my walk, just went for a short walk through a few trails in town and saw plenty, all of them white yet we havnt even had a dump of snow yet

Are you sure your not seeing varying hare aka snowshoe rabbits. European hare aka jack rabbits are completely different animals.

i must have seen 5 or 6 of them tonight along with 3 deer in north bay city limits on my walk, just went for a short walk through a few trails in town and saw plenty, all of them white yet we havnt even had a dump of snow yet

Those rabbits your seeing are not Jackrabbits rather snowshoe hairs. If it turns white come fall its a snowshoe.

We used to get them when I was yas young, and plenty of them depending on the coyotes that year.Havent seen any jack in years,and have only seen cottontails so far a lot in the summer.All these housing developements are a major problem.I have 2 young cotton tails in my front yard every morning.They are a so called pet,not a pest.Im glad they have a place to nest.