45hp merc

jasonl

I inherited a 1989 alumacraft with a 45hp merc on it. It sat in a field for 10 yrs prior to me taking it home now I've been looking for a shop manual for the engine and see several available. I'm decently mechanically inclined but have never touched a 2 stroke in my life. So what would you guys recommend for a shop manual and where would I start on with get this engine started. I haven't even hooked a battery to it yet but I have manually turned it over to check for compression.

Thanks and here's some pics

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=3755...mp;l=2c91803011

Edited by jasonl

Change the impeller for sure and while you are at it the lower end gear lube.

Check carefully under the hood for mice and the remnants of them. Chewed wires can be a problem too.

Look carefully in the carbs and clear out any accumulated dirt. Make sure the carb linkages and controls work freely.

I would probably undo the fuel line at the carb inlets and prime the bulb to push out the crud from the fuel lines too.

Have a look at the rubber on the prop to make sure it isn't cracked, don't want it spinning out on your first trip.

It may not hurt to pull the spark plugs and give the cylinders a quick spray of a light penetrating oil before you turn it over, it may save cracking a piston ring. A quick squirt in the carbs too. Run the fuel oil ratio a little lower on the first tank, maybe 30 to 1 or so.

The first thing I would do is make sure that the original owner is not still in the boat.

Then, while it you have it stripped out, would it not be a good idea to fill it with water and see if anything major is dripping out before you go bananas on the interior?

Sound advice from the others on the motor.

It looks like you have a great fixer upper there. Is there more to the story?

Jim

well to add some more to it.

i've had the boat parked in my driveway for 1.5 yrs, checked for leaks(none), checked the transom(good) cut down the forest and pulled out the flower beds than proceeded to gut the interior. Replaced the floor and rod lockers. purchased new seats and will be rewiring everything this december. As for checking out the motor I tore the cover off, evicted all the wasps, by the time i cleaned up everything I filled a 10 gallon pail with all the wasp remnants. No evidence of mice whatsoever.

The reason for the project is this particular boat is what I caught my first fish, a 9lb pickeral on it 20 yrs ago when my uncle bought it new. He passed 2 yrs ago from cancer and myself and my wife and kids cared for him for almost a yr of his last days. This boat has memories past, present and more to come :)

I fly home in 2 weeks after 4 months on the road working so i'll definately pick up some seafoam and some grease as well as an impeller and some lower end lube.

keeps the info coming I appreciate it!!!

Jason

Edited by jasonl