Chromage

StoneFly

Got out to a trib today with DMASSE and Bowshep, what a gorgeous day to be out, right down to the short sleeves by mid morning. Anyways, water was Gin clear and stealth was in order.

Got this nice little female sitting in a quick rapid,...spunky fish.

Nov-8-2.jpg

Noc-8-3.jpg

Early in the morning there was 8-10 of these guys hiding under a log jam some in the teens, big fish,.....crouched on our knees on the bank, we tossed singles at them,..most amazing thing I saw, a pretty large Chromer lunge 2 feet to the side and grabbed my egg,...the fight was on but it didnt last too long, maybe 15 seconds,..it was all I could do to hold him from buring him self in the wood work and he eventually broke me off.

Came back to the same spot hours later and all 10 fish were sun tannin in front of the logs.

Nov-8-5.jpg

Nov-8-6.jpg

Walking along a flat area, saw 2 Browns getting a suntan,...that was odd, snapped a pic of this one.

Nov-8-09007.jpg

Nov-8-4.jpg

Fun Day, thanks Dave and Ken.

Edited by StoneFly

Nice Job!

I got out today as well. Except i had to cut my day short due to the screw on my islander falling into the river. :wallbash:

I looked for 30 minutes but couldn't find it.

WOW, dude that sucks,..why did you have the screw off in the water? cleaning it out? How do you get a new one?

WOW, dude that sucks,..why did you have the screw off in the water? cleaning it out? How do you get a new one?

I was just reeling in and then it went straight into the drink. I've noticed the last few trips out it seems to just come un-screwed by itself. I emailed Islander today, so I'll see what happens.

Got out to a trib today with DMASSE and Bowshep, what a gorgeous day to be out, right down to the short sleeves by mid morning. Anyways, water was Gin clear and stealth was in order.

Got this nice little female sitting in a quick rapid,...spunky fish.

You did WHAT to the poor fish??? :blink: :blink: :blink:

OOOH! you caught it in a rapId!!! :blush:

NOW I get it!

nice!

p.-

Conditions were absolutely Gin,...this fish was in the middle of a fast rapid,...the one where your float goes all cuckoo,..so i was totally tight with the drift and had to rely on feel,...bump.. thats when I set it.

The one that was tough but amazing was drifting the single into the log Jam and seeing the 8-10lb female go 2 feet to the side and snatch it. I confess, we did some light chumming,...we were 8' up on a bank on our knees when she hit,...to properly fight her, I slide down on my ass basically kept her tight, she came out of the logs and I thought I had her from there, but then darted back in even with all the side pressure, couldn't turn her....just held it so my float was 2 feet out of the logs, but she wasnt coming back and eventually broke off. I regret losing that fish more than any other ever, maybe becasue of the conditions and watching her take the bait, a little rare for steelheading I think. Fun none the less,...and I know where she lives so I will be knockin on that door again. Might just try the fly rod next time. ;)

That's the problem fishing the gin clear stuff. It's fun to watch the fish hit, but good luck trying to horse that thing running 3# tippet.

It's hard enough getting them out of the wood in ideal conditions.

Do you mean #3 Drennan or #3 Froghair or what? HUGE difference. But I wasnt using #3, that would be dumb for this scenario, lol.

Comparing Drennan and Froghair is like comparing apples to oranges, lol...

Exactly,...3lb Drennan has the same Diameter as 6.6lb Froghair,....I dont think I would ever run less of either. you never know when that Brute is gonna hit, and i dont like losing fish, for my sake and the fishes sake. Generally I run higher in less Gin type water. It was soo clear that we actually saw my fish 2 hours later with my hook and white mesh in her trap, almost caught the fish again,...but it was mid day and they were less interested.