Treble hooks

Roy

I have a poopload of baits that could use new hooks. What do you guys like, Daiichi, VMC, Mustad, Owner, Gamakatsu or another brand. Whenever I've replaced hooks I just bought small quantities of Excaliburs or some such.

For muskie baits I have no problem. I buy 4/0 to 8/0 in bulk from luremaking.com. Which brand of hooks and where do you guys buy trebles in the 8 to 2 sizes in bulk?

Thanks

Thanks Mike. So you use the Mustads then?

Yeah, I kinda know where that Le Baron store is. I used to go there when I was a kid...it used to be an army surplus store then. Same family today in sporting gear. It was my favourite store as a kid.

Thanks again.

ps. Hwy 40 didn't exist then. :)

Roy, I've found that the VMC quicksets featured on Rapala product to be the best treble on the market. The extended feature of the one tine is a fish getter. The hooks are ultra sharp (emergency removal at the CLSC in Parent this past season) plus a couple of other on the water removals from clients fingers attest to that fact.

I did a lot of trolling this year with Shad Raps, never lost a fish and they all were stuck with the extended tine.

Roy, the surgery took less time than the the drive to & from the lodge. The place is really well equipped and the male nurse who looked after me was so impressed with the hookset he examined the removed hook under a scope and declared it the sharpest point he ever came across. This from a guy who has worked in all the remote area CLSC's over the past years and has seen his share of stuck fingers etc.

Mustad makes a line of trebles that are quite good and reasonably priced. If I was sponsored by Gamakatsu I'd probably use those...but having to replace the hooks on a "poopload" of baits will get expense fast if you go for top of the line. If you're in a position to not mind spending the money, I've never been disappointed with Gamakatsu. Otherwise, give these a look.

IMG_1735.JPG

I bought a bunch last year and used them all summer. There's nothing wrong with them. They're pretty cheap so you might suspect they're crappy but like I say, they're not bad at all. You must be fairly proficient with a hook file by now Roy...you can get them (and keep them) just as sharp as more expensive hooks with a little attention on your part.

Edited by Fishnwire

Yes glen. I buy all of my stuff there. I was just wondering what other people did.

Ok, here's what I like to do...

1. Shop around online for my best deal. Most of the time I don't have time to go running all over town looking for something, and when you consider the gas money you've spent running around town... shipping charges are a bargain!!!

2. I like to add one of these to the back of a crankbait:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...&hasJS=true

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...p;cm_ite=netcon

3. Never put your baits back in the tackle box wet, or leave your tackle box out in the rain!... your hooks will last much longer!!!

honestly ...who has ever owned a lure long enough to change the hooks..( spoons aside)....all my body baits are on the bottom of the river...

For spoons i switch to Daiichi when the need arises because piece of mind is just that ...piece of mind

I like Excalibur Rotating treble hooks. I always replace the hooks that I don't think are adequate. However, some lures do come with excellent hooks. I would even say that the quality of the hooks on good lures has improved over the years.

I have not found a better hook for muskie that the Gamakatsu's. There aren;t too many other hooks out there anywhere near the strength with the smaller diameter wire as the Gams with the sharpness and longevety that point will stay good. Best in my books. Usually only buy 3/0 and 4/0s sizes. But i mostly run inlines and weighted Suick glid baits

Edited by F_ast

honestly ...who has ever owned a lure long enough to change the hooks..

most muskie fishermen.. we cut hooks to release the fish and rarely lose a lure to a snag. i've a 'top-secret' jerkbait that's had it's hooks replaced many times. :D

Edited by Raf