highland creek

castgame

walked highland creek today from the mouth up to kingston road, and it looked amazing! wasn't able to spot any steelhead, but there were a few salmon backs breaching the shallows as well as a good number of spent salmon on shore. the steelhead have to be there, no? the river just looks too amazing.

i think i saw you bbqing ;)

if there's no steelhead run up the highland creek, i'd like to know why. it looks like a perfect stretch of spawning water, all loose gravel and nice current. i might cast a few spinners at the mouth just for fun. i've just got too good a feeling about that place!

Flooding would be a major reason for lack of spawning success in Highland Creek. That creek has major flooding problems during rainstorms. Bridges are regularily washed out on the creek. The university has tennis courts located about 100m from the creek; they get flooded.

Any eggs laid in that creek will be in Lake Ontario after the first rain. Most trout spawning occurs in the upper tributaries of of the rivers. The headwaters of Highland Creek are very poor. They are mainly culverts ( I refer to them as aboe ground storm sewers ). These culverts are far too warm for trout to spawn successfully. Unlike most creeks and rivers, Highland Creek actually has cooler water towards the mouth than it has in the head waters.

Also, unless the regulations for the creek have changed, there is no extended season for trout.

another reason would prolly be water condition. and by this i mean how clean the water is.. most of the creeks that flow into and make the whole highland creek watershed is all water runoff from our "clean" streets of scarborough... that being said migratory fish will always stray into any river than enters into lake ontario and ive seen substantial amounts of salmon in highland creek but have never heard of it being stocked in anyway at all, so im sure theres a couple in there. btw no hate here but ive heard that highland creek was closed all year.. for what reason i dont know i just heard this from a credible fellow fisherman. if anyone knows better please post as you stated the mouth looks prime!

another reason would prolly be water condition. and by this i mean how clean the water is.. most of the creeks that flow into and make the whole highland creek watershed is all water runoff from our "clean" streets of scarborough... that being said migratory fish will always stray into any river than enters into lake ontario and ive seen substantial amounts of salmon in highland creek but have never heard of it being stocked in anyway at all, so im sure theres a couple in there. btw no hate here but ive heard that highland creek was closed all year.. for what reason i dont know i just heard this from a credible fellow fisherman. if anyone knows better please post as you stated the mouth looks prime!

That I would actually like to know also. I'm unaware that you cant fish at the mouth. If someone knows that it is closed let me know. I cant find it in the regs.

... that being said migratory fish will always stray into any river than enters into lake ontario and ive seen substantial amounts of salmon in highland creek but have never heard of it being stocked in anyway at all,

Actually, Highland Creek is one of the stocking sites for Chinook salmon. I believe their allotment is 17,000 per year.

...btw no hate here but ive heard that highland creek was closed all year.. for what reason i dont know i just heard this from a credible fellow fisherman.

I checked the regs. It is indeed open all for rainbow, brown, and pacific salmon from the south side of Kingston Rd. to the lake. This is new; there never used to be an extended season on the creek.

Edited by JohnBacon

Actually, Highland Creek is one of the stocking sites for Chinook salmon. I believe their allotment is 17,000 per year.

I checked the regs. It is open all for rainbow, brown, and pacific salmon from the south side of Kingston Rd. to the lake. This is new; there never used to be an extended season on the creek.

I believe they changed the regs a year or two ago. Prior to the changes, the MNR told me it was open to steelhead, salmon and browns between the last Saturday in April to Sept 30 with no extended season.

I've fished highland creek a couple times in spring after the trout opener and caught mostly suckers and chub. Did catch 1 bow after the opener but didn't see any other ones. According to a few of my friends who occasionally fish there and have the river going through their backyards, they say there really isn't a major run of steelhead - Just the odd pods of fish that come up (perhaps strays?).

what a shame about the floods/headwaters. the creek looks spectacular from kingston rd down--like some of the nicer streams and tribs you see up in the georgian bay area.

i figure if it's open year round, it's got to be worth hitting when the conditions are right. if there's a steelhead there, he'll see my mepps :P

I thought that down by the mouth it was open all year round. There is the odd Rainbow that will be in there. Salmon are in there usually because my Beagles bring the buggers home in the fall. I thought the mouth is considered Lake Ontario and you are fine for all year fishing.