I finally did the hunter's safety ed course.

wuchikubo

I've used red dots in the past and they are very good but when I am hunting in close cover, low light conditions, there is nothing better than a good scope that allows you that extra 15 minutes of shooting time.

I'm not sure how you evaluate that, but I have used both and the red dot will work in almost total darkness - you could use it by the light of a flashlight if it weren't HIGHLY illegal! :D

If we did night-time coon hunting in Ontario, nothing would be better than a red dot.

Edited by Jocko

I'm not sure how you evaluate that, but I have used both and the red dot will work in almost total darkness - you could use it by the light of a flashlight if it weren't HIGHLY illegal! :D

If we did night-time coon hunting in Ontario, nothing would be better than a red dot.

I dunno, I had a red dot, and once it starts getting dark, all you can see is that red dot........nothing else. I had mine on a slug gun, and a BLR. I missed a couple chances at deer because I couldn't find them.......all I could see was that friggen red light!!!

I'd take a scope over the red dot anyday.

S.

I dunno, I had a red dot, and once it starts getting dark, all you can see is that red dot........nothing else. I had mine on a slug gun, and a BLR. I missed a couple chances at deer because I couldn't find them.......all I could see was that friggen red light!!!

I'd take a scope over the red dot anyday.

My Bushnell red dot has eleven brightness settings on a rotary dial. I can dial it from too bright for a sunny day to barely visible in near darkness. Red is probably also the colour chosen for a red dot sight because exposure to the colour red does not affect human ability to see in low light.

Add to that the fact that with the red dot (and 0 magnification) you shoot with both eyes open, and the view you have is almost as good as with nothing in front of your eyes at all, just this red dot 'magically' hanging there and pointing wherever you want it to. :)

People can (and do!) have their preferences, but for low light conditions and close-in (i.e. up to 100 yds or so where magnification isn't needed) you simply can't beat a red-dot-type sight.

Okay, I need you to elaborate on your opinion. Why do you believe it's the best?

Stan,thier all,well except Cliff ;):D talking jibberish.Thats drunk,n newfienezz. :lol::lol:

Make the drive bud.Talk to the guys that know. ;)

They carry everything,except the middleton.

Have you ever used a good quality, light gathering scope? There is a big difference.

Yes I did, before red dots were common. But IMO no matter how much you tweak a good quality scope it will always be a little less efficient than a red dot in low-light, short to medium range conditions. The combination of an illuminated aim point and two-eyes-open sighting is just impossible to beat.