Figure '8' or Big Wide Circle???

bigbuck

I really don't think it matters to much it's just another topic to talk/write about. I think as long as it's moving that's all you need, sometimes I fig 8, others I mix it up, as long as the lures working properly that's the key, you can pause, twitch, speed it up, but I do keep it in the water at the end of every cast for at least one or two motions.

I don't know if it's just me but, I think of it as teasing a cat with string, I just mix it up on every cast.

Edited by GbayGiant

I caught one of my biggest pike last season on a figure eight ... not even after a cast ... I was just demonstrating to my buddy what to do after every cast ... had the thing swimming for about a minute around the stern when wooooosh outta the weeds came a 38+ and inhaled my 10" Jake ... talkabout making a believer outta him :) ... he hardly cast all day .. just swam him his lure around the bow mosta the time :)

Hi,

To me, either works. Whatever folks are comfortable with. I feel the 8 pattern is a little goofier, which sometimes can help trigger with lures that control well on the eight motion (basically corner well). For some, it's just easier to make big circles. With either, the outside corners are the key. They should be as wide as possible. Sounds silly possibly, but this is where the inside pass of a circle or 8 is very important ... get in as tight to boat as possible, because this simply allows for wider turns. With either pattern, it's been my experiences that the majority of hits occur on that outside corner.

Pete

Actually a great point there. First, it's all about your equipment and what you are comfortable with (how you can do the best corners!) ... but also, boatside is where the longer rods really make a difference. The shortest rod I use for casting these days is my 7' 6" heavy action. The 8 foot plus rods really make a difference at boatside. Last year I used 8' 6" and 9 mainly. And we had a bunch of fish hit on eights and O's.

Pete