To smoke or not to smoke?

I'mHooked

So what are the factors that influence people whether to smoke a fish or not? :dunno:

I've tried smoked west coast salmon that someone gave as a gift and it was fantastic. :D

What I've noticed seems to be when someone has caught a somewhat larger salmon or trout they seem to announce that they will just smoke it. :dunno:

Is there a preference to smoking over freezing for later consumption?

Is there something about smoking compared to other forms of cooking that has an impact on potential high levels of the bad stuff in the flesh?

Please share your insight! :clapping:

Thanks.

I suspect for most people it's a personal preference.

Is there something about smoking compared to other forms of cooking that has an impact on potential high levels of the bad stuff in the flesh?

As far as this, no, not at all. In fact if the fish is not smoke properly, or long enough, you may expose yourself to potential bacteria and parasites. It's not common in Ontario caught fish, but is possible.

usually bigger fish don't taste as good so might as well smoke em to make them better tasting and get rid of em quicker

Makes some sense. Smoking gives it some extra flavour to cover substandard taste?

I suspect for most people it's a personal preference.

That's exactly what I'm looking for. What influences peoples personal preferences?

Or you could release those good sized spawning fish in favor of a smaller one :glare:

Let's assume we're talking about fish that won't survive release, as it's illegal to waste the flesh. :glare:

We use to smoke our lakers but lately have been slow cooking them on a cedar plank on the bbq.

A splash of olive oil and a lil dry rub montreal steak spice over the fillets tastes awesome.

If consumed with a few sleemans honey browns,for some reason they taste even better.

if your entertaining people with alcohol involved on such occasions as easter ,thanksgiving, grey cup, christmas,new years superbowl ,world series, stanley cup, birthdays , (oh i almost forgot my favourite occasion of all) THE WEEKEND !!! then smoked fish is a prerequisite for finger food...

CHEERS

if your entertaining people with alcohol involved on such occasions as easter ,thanksgiving, grey cup, christmas,new years superbowl ,world series, stanley cup, birthdays , (oh i almost forgot my favourite occasion of all) THE WEEKEND !!! then smoked fish is a prerequisite for finger food...

CHEERS

good point! dang, I need to go get me so salmon... ;)

after i smoke i vacuum wrap portions and freeze it right away .....ive actually found some at the bottom of the freezer not knowing its age and tried it ...tasted and texture was the same as the day it went in ...( im guessing it was about 9 or ten months old) cuz it was a salmon and it was leftover from the May Derby and it was the following march and bows werent open yet....